Watched One of Those Hasn't Run in 40 Years...

Olyj1947

It is a '48 H and not moved since the '80's. Thru a lot of trial and error, tires are filled, fluid lines flushed and useable, carb is working and motor running. They changed the filter, oil and cleaned the air intake. When oil was added he said that due to changes in oil regs he was adding 2 quarts of liquid zinc which replaced 2 quarts of oil. Why? Are we over looking something with our old tractors? Thank you.

If you cannot post a link if you can post the exact title of the video then it is more likely we all can see it. I do not know what formulation of the zinc but 2 quarts seems like overkill on zinc.

f you run the 15-40 diesel oil it is good on the zinc for those old tractors without adding more. I would worry that 2 qts of zinc might plug oil galleys or even the sump screen so it would not get oil in the first place.

wow, never heard of doing that and 2 quarts ??? i think people are getting getting carried away with oils. you got to realize these old tractors are just started and run around the yard then put away. its not like they are running all day long in the field pulling there guts out running hot. meaning operating temp. far as i am concerned any oil will do the job for you. i cant even find 15-40 oil to change in my duramax. now they got a zero in place of the 15, and call it synthetic.

I think its something like a pint of zinc to 4 or 5 quarts of oil, so they put enough in it to treat around 5 gallons of oil. Yeah, WAY overkill. They must think if a little does a little good, a lot will do a lot of good. And with a lot of those videos I've seen too, what is the real story, and what did they really do that wasn't edited out?

I should make a video.... With lots of editing and lots left out. I find it rare that one will crank and run very easy after that many years....

You only need the zinc for high performance heads with stiff valve springs. Back when these tractors were new and getting broke in and used hard they had straight nondetergent oil with no additive package at all. These tractors were already old when zinc became a thing back in the 1960s.

them clowns on u tube you cant believe much they post, just a bunch of wanna be mechanic's. notice i said the clowns .

(quoted from post at 14:18:23 12/19/22) You only need the zinc for high performance heads with stiff valve springs. Back when these tractors were new and getting broke in and used hard they had straight nondetergent oil with no additive package at all. These tractors were already old when zinc became a thing back in the 1960s.

Yeah, and engine overhauls were a dealer's bread and butter. Shops full of tractors with their engines torn down getting sleeves, pistons, and bearings. There was no 10,000+ hours between overhauls like we see today. Not even close.

Gee... I hope I'm not one of these said 'clowns'.... At least I hope you guys don't think I am a clown. Took this photo of the 1942 Farmall H Suicide Awareness tractor after a healthy 12 snowfall last week... That red really pops on the white.
cvphoto143369.jpg

Kens Channel

(quoted from post at 05:34:44 12/19/22) I should make a video.... With lots of editing and lots left out. I find it rare that one will crank and run very easy after that many years....

Editing is not done to be deceptive. Nobody is going to watch you struggle trying to get an engine started for 7-8 hours. So you hit the highlights.

It's amazing how many people watch these videos and think that if they didn't show it, it didn't happen. "You didn't check the oil. You're going to ruin the engine!" "You didn't do this. You're going to ruin the engine!" "You didn't do that. You ruined the engine!" Blah blah blah. I really don't envy those youtubers who get 100's of thousands of views and the 10's of thousands of stupid comments.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back