Water Line Size

Bigger pipe will flow more water through a standard 5/8-3/4" meter, especially on long runs. 3/4 or 1" meters, even more. There will be more flow (friction) loss in smaller pipe than bigger pipe. When I worked for the city we recommended 1" PVC for house service. On a long run, I would start with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" for 1/2 way, then 1". Full size all the way to Tee, if you want a high pressure line for irrigation or outside spigots before the pressure reducer outside house foundation. If I was putting in frost free sill cocks on outside house walls for the only outside water, I would use 1" pressure reducer and 1" to water heater and those, for more flow....James

Ran 1,000 feet of 1 inch pex to serve main house with 3 baths as well as garage apartment this January and all is very well.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.... The pressure loss comes into play at full volume. Static, pressure will be close to source pressure. If you run a 1" line, and spigots are half inch (3/4 main house line), pressure drop will not be severe, because you are throttling back the volume.

///::::OLD POST:::/// May 23, 2022!!
Danny‘s water line has been buried for almost 2 years now. Keep flogging it if you want to.
Why are you on a forum where information is to be SHARED yet you have no time to carefully read what others have shared and when they shared it? Just food for thought!

///::::OLD POST:::/// May 23, 2022!!
Danny‘s water line has been buried for almost 2 years now. Keep flogging it if you want to.
Why are you on a forum where information is to be SHARED yet you have no time to carefully read what others have shared and when they shared it? Just food for thought!
Because folks do not read dates

I like to use the analogy of how VOLTAGE (water pressure) drops as CURRENT (CFM of water flow) flows through a RESISTANCE (smaller pipe = more resistance to flow) ... Just as Voltage drop = I x R Pressure Drop across a pipe is flow (CFM) X resistance. Voltage drops as current flows through a wire just as pressure drops as water flows through a pipe and smaller pipe = more resistance to flow

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bigger pipe still = less voltage drop REGARDLESS if there were a small restriction at say the meter where it goes out the pipe to the house.

Using bigger line reduces line pressure drop REGARDLESS if there was a 1/2 or 1 inch or whatever at the meter. Use what you like but the FACT remains bigger pipe = less pressure drop

Thats my story n Ima stickin to it lol

Best wishes everyone take care be safe be happy

John T
OK John now we have come full circle. Remember back in EE101 the water analogy was used to explain ohms law? LOL

Because folks do not read dates
JMOR….do not read dates! And on it goes with all the precision of a plodding moose! Yet the most minute mechanical detail is picked to inseparable pieces! :unsure: :ROFLMAO: They are all infected by “Classic Viewidous”
YT members at a large!
LOOK AT THE DATES HIGHER UP IN THIS POST!!!

Last edited:
JMOR….do not read dates! And on it goes with all the precision of a plodding moose! Yet the most minute mechanical detail is picked to inseparable pieces! :unsure: :ROFLMAO: They are all infected by “Classic Viewidous”
YT members at a large!
We agree

YT members at a large!
I really gotta ask... Why are you replying to this thread, didn't you read the date???

I really gotta ask... Why are you replying to this thread, didn't you read the date???
treeman, we’re just following your lead!! Just like you that’s what sheeple do? :ROFLMAO: I can’t say I haven’t been tripped up by it, but I didn’t have 3 posts warning me about it. In your defense there was only one, at the time you posted. Yes, I realize that every time I reply it bumps it to the top.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back