Depends on the amp capacity of the alternator. Most of the one wire alternators have a capacity double what the OEM amp gauge can handle. If your going to wire through the amp gauge you should up grade it. Most people recommend going with a voltage gauge instead. How it is wired depends on how neat you wish the installation to be. The easiest, cheapest way is to run a heavy wire directly to the + battery post. Purchase a cheap volt gauge at an auto parts store and mount it where you wish and run the gauge wire to any point that has 12V. If you are converting from 6V you also need an ignition resister and you need to rewire the ignition coil for negative ground. Complete conversion harnesses are available, probably here on YT store.

Remove generator and regulator and the two connecting wires

Connect BAT wire from regulator to output of alternator

If it has an L wire on the regulator you can also connect that to the output of alternator. It feed power to the switches.

If you are changing from positive to negative ground the - wire on coil goes to side of distributor. If it is now 6 volt and you go to 12 volt alternator you will need to add a 1 1/2 ohm resistor between switch and input to coil, or change to a direct 12 volt no resistor required coil such as NAPA IC14SB or equivalent

Turn lights and ignition on, engine not running. Ammeter should go negative. If it goes positive reverse the ammeter connections.

Your ammeter should work fine with alternator. The alternator rating is at maximum RPM and maximum load, it will see neither on your tractor. I have 3 tractors converted from generator to alternator and have had no problems with any of the ammeters.

I would replace wire from alternator to ammeter and ammeter to starter switch with 10 gauge wire.

Funny how people have different experiences. I work part time for a wealthy fellow who owns a 80x200 full of restored tractors, each fitted with a one wire Delco that was wired through the OEM or reproduction ammeters at the time they were restored. One of the first things I did for him was replace all but a couple ammeters, all were ruined by over current from the alternators. Mind you these tractors sit for months and then get started, sometimes lots of cranking, maybe jumped. When reved up to get the alternators charging they will peg the 60 gauges I installed, isn't hard gor men to see why the OEM 20s and 30 amp gauges got ruined, just my experience. I fix the generators on my stuff since I know how to do it.

Your answer may be in Wealthy Owners that dont know anything about starting a tractor. I have several tractors. forklift, trucks, cars with different combination of generators and alternator and have never burned up a Ampmeter in my 60 some years of life. The trick is good tuning and having engines that fire right up with fresh gas and a good battery. Little cranking and no quick Reving to see how fast it will run???? Sometimes tractor engines don't spin a Alternator fast enough but I never had that problem either. I have melted the connections in a 6 volt stater when over cranking with a 12 volt battery. That only happened once even though several engines start real quick with 12 volt battery on 6 volt starter>Cleddy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back