What a Mess!!!

super99

I bought a Oliver super 88 diesel that had sat for several years with a small amount of fuel in the tank, I took the injection pump off and sent it to dieseltech and he got the metering shaft and sleeve free and checked over. I added about 4 gallons of fuel to the tank to try and start it but no fuel came out of the tank. I decided to haul it home before doing anything else to it, Before I got there to get it it leaked all of the fuel out, thought I turned the fuel off but evidently didn’t. I got it home and put 2 gallons of E85 in the tank to soak to Clean it out. It sat for 3 days before I took the sediment bowl assembly out and turned it over and a trickle of fuel came out. I poked around through the hole and got black tar coming out. It has a water trap on the bottom of the tank that was full of the black crap. I worked a bent pick around inside and got some of it out. What can I put in it to dissolve the crap to clean it out? I got most of it out of the shut off valve and letting it soak in mineral spirits. Would it help to heat it with a heat gun to soften it up? Any easy/good way to clean it out? Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpeg
    IMG_2434.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 167
I bought a Oliver super 88 diesel that had sat for several years with a small amount of fuel in the tank, I took the injection pump off and sent it to dieseltech and he got the metering shaft and sleeve free and checked over. I added about 4 gallons of fuel to the tank to try and start it but no fuel came out of the tank. I decided to haul it home before doing anything else to it, Before I got there to get it it leaked all of the fuel out, thought I turned the fuel off but evidently didn’t. I got it home and put 2 gallons of E85 in the tank to soak to Clean it out. It sat for 3 days before I took the sediment bowl assembly out and turned it over and a trickle of fuel came out. I poked around through the hole and got black tar coming out. It has a water trap on the bottom of the tank that was full of the black crap. I worked a bent pick around inside and got some of it out. What can I put in it to dissolve the crap to clean it out? I got most of it out of the shut off valve and letting it soak in mineral spirits. Would it help to heat it with a heat gun to soften it up? Any easy/good way to clean it out? Chris
I use mek I get it at the hardware store.

Had a similar experience with a Case tank. Take something like a yard stick and scrape the bottom, pulling out as much as you can. Keep soaking with E85 and put a 1/4" chain in it. I had a pair of saw horses in front of my shop and every time I walked by I would seesaw the tank making the chain scrub the bottom. I changed the E 85 maybe 3 or 4 times until the gas looked fairly clear.

My son and I restored a 880 row crop diesel that had sat in the fence row for who knows how many years. I ended up cutting the bottom right out of tank cleaned it out and welded a new bottom in tank. I would have to look but I think we overlapped so easier to weld v/s a butt weld. Sounds like a lot of trouble , but I dont remember it being that bad to do. If you are handy with a mig welder it may be an option? just make sure you do a leak test after welding. On a couple of 4 digits I fabbed up a complete new tank. Not because tanks were dirty other crazy reasons!

Your e85 inside the tank should do it. It’s gonna take multiple rinses you could always use something stronger for one rinse brake clean comes to mind since it’s always around.

Outside on the engine go to napa and get the good smelling mac engine degreaser. It will take 3 cans by the looks to me but it works pretty good have to let it sit on for awhile then best to pressure wash

Have you tried pressure washing it?

Looks like it has very good tires on it. Should be a nice tractor when finished
The one you can see is good, the other side is much older and has a tear in the sidewall but it came with a decent pair of used 13.6X38's to replace them.

You might try taking it to a radiator shop. I just sent a gas tank from Minneapolis Moline, RTU to get boiled out. It wasn’t in that bad shape but it has a lot of residue from E85. While talking to the guy I told him I have a 720 diesel that has a fuel tank looking similar to yours. He said he can boil it out and get rid of all that crap. My brother-in-law sends fuel tanks to him all the time. bio diesel is probably the culprit. I only use off-road diesel.

Lacquer thinner will help clean it up.

On my 880, that water trap had about 10 pin holes in it when I cleaned it out. The JB Weld fix is still holding 15 years later.

Agree with the radiator shop. I took a tank from a Case 700 in years ago. The shop told me it had to be spotless before they would work on it - so I had to take it to the car wash and blast it out. That worked, which was why I suggested the pressure washer. I did not have one back then, so the car wash was the only option.

I had international 806 that had the black stuff in it. Brother said it was from diesel fuel setting for years. Flashlight showed the black stuff a 1/4 the way up the sides of the tank.
Not best thing to do, but my brother removed the factory and put in larger screen to catch the bigger stuff and let the two fuel filters catch the small stuff. Sold the 806 and the new owner never called back to complain.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back