What am I doing wrong???

gmccool

Well-known Member
Location
Minden Iowa
Why is when I read a post and then go back maybe a couple hours later it is still Highlighted as a New Post as if I never read it. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Gerald
 
Why is when I read a post and then go back maybe a couple hours later it is still Highlighted as a New Post as if I never read it. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Gerald
In what manner are you "going back"? It makes a difference.

ALL threads are marked as NEW until the user opens those threads.
Thereafter NEW shows on the thread to indicate a new post has been added after you viewed said thread.

P.S. The YT forum contains Categories, categories contain Threads, threads contain Posts
Posts are in a thread.
There are no posts in categories.
 
Last edited:
I wonder the same thing.
What I have found using the phone is you need to swipe up all the way to the bottom of the page before you hit the back button. That will reset the (new) until someone else comments. Move to another category and when you come back it will be gone. It's irritating but it works.
 
Why is when I read a post and then go back maybe a couple hours later it is still Highlighted as a New Post as if I never read it. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Gerald
Also depends on your browser settings. They can be set to hold the last view of the page for faster loading, but since it was the page that had new on it, it'll still say new. If you refresh the page then the new will go away, unless somebody has responded between the time you left the page and refreshed it.
 
Why is when I read a post and then go back maybe a couple hours later it is still Highlighted as a New Post as if I never read it. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Gerald
Most of the time, that just means someone commented on that thread again, while you were away. When I'm done reading through one of the forums for a while, I go up to the top and "mark read" the whole forum. That way, when I return, I know everything that is bold is new since I left. If you want to follow a thread that you have commented on, just go to your "handle" at the top, and press "your content". steve
 
The proper way, as written by cpratt and an excerpt is quoted below.
You can review the long version in this thread too:
Long version


"It's that pesky browser back arrow to navigate between pages. You can't use the back arrow and have it work. This was a problem in classic and modern too, and all websites. It's fine to use the back arrow to navigate if that last page is a static page, in other words a page that never, or seldom changes.
See that "Site Comments" that I've marked as a Breadcrumb, click on that and you tell the server you want to go back to that page, but you want it updated with current information. That breadcrumb will always be at the top of every post. BTW, a breadcrumb is a standard navigation link required by Google and other search engines.
1706466148974.png
 
Most of the time, that just means someone commented on that thread again, while you were away. When I'm done reading through one of the forums for a while, I go up to the top and "mark read" the whole forum. That way, when I return, I know everything that is bold is new since I left. If you want to follow a thread that you have commented on, just go to your "handle" at the top, and press "your content". steve
The above is true also, I missed the "away a couple hours" notation.
A fast moving thread might have a red NEW on it as soon as you move out of the thread.
 
What I have found using the phone is you need to swipe up all the way to the bottom of the page before you hit the back button. That will reset the (new) until someone else comments. Move to another category and when you come back it will be gone. It's irritating but it works.
After swiping to the bottom of the top, you could instead hit the "Tractor & Farm Talk" breadcrumb.
Then no need to refresh.
 
Why is when I read a post and then go back maybe a couple hours later it is still Highlighted as a New Post as if I never read it. What am I doing wrong. Thanks Gerald
If you use the correct upper "forum link" to return to a forum - thus marking that thread as "read" (NOT using the "back" arrow at the bottom of screen)...
Still each and every reply to a thread, will cause the "NEW" to reappear, so the thread once again appears bold/unread, as well as making that thread "bubble-up" to the top.
Not a fan of that "bubble-up" effect, myself... but it is what it is, I guess.
 
If you use the correct upper "forum link" to return to a forum - thus marking that thread as "read" (NOT using the "back" arrow at the bottom of screen)...
Still each and every reply to a thread, will cause the "NEW" to reappear, so the thread once again appears bold/unread, as well as making that thread "bubble-up" to the top.
Not a fan of that "bubble-up" effect, myself... but it is what it is, I guess.

You can change that now to prevent the "bubble up" via Preference settings. Doing so will always show the threads in chronological order. And stay that way until you change it back. Even if you log out and come back next week.

But when a new post is added after the thread falls off the first page of threads, you will not know if a new post has been made to that thread.
Unless you go to subsequent pages looking for it.

1706492480135.png
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top