What do you use your needle scaler for?

atlarge54

Picked up a Snap On needle scaler at a garage sale the other day. It came with two tips, one seems to have a tighter "pattern" than the other.

What jobs do you use yours for. I have a feeling I'll never wear this on out---it's never been on my shopping list but now I own one.

I used a cheapie version to remove the paint/grease/asphalt (yes, asphalt) from the belly of an industrial tractor before I painted it once.
It knocks off loose or flaking paint just fine.

The cheap versions tend the shake themselves apart. The last time I put setscrews in mine, I used the 'sleeve and bushing' formula Locktite
on them.

I got an HF cheapie. Works great except the thick part of the needles (that hold them in place) wear out and they keep falling out of the end necessitating holding on to them.
That said they are the absolute best for rust removal. Had a wheel off a bat wing mower that was so rusted on the inside that it would never hold air. Problem was that if I put
a tube in it the rust would eventually rupture the tube. It would have taken half a day to chip the rust off clean enough to safely use a tube. The scaler did a superior job in
about 10 minutes albeit noisy. Used it to strip paint off the grill and trans of my 8N before painting.

When repairing old steel, welds are ground smooth and then go over the surface with my de-scaler to get the texture to match
the pitted parent metal, when appearance is critical.

JF in MI - Harbor Freight sells new needles for not a lot of money. I

To the OP - I remove slag, flux, and rust. I see someone mentioned cleaning mortar off of bricks and wish I had thought of that!

I'm not impressed with my HF scaler. Perhaps I need higher air pressure.
Mine is a good paper weight.

I use a wire brush on right angle grinder.
Does a better job and uses a fraction of the electricity an air compressor uses.

Cleaning slag, flux and distressing welds when I was in boiler repair ( think big boilers, IE Great lakes freighters, power house etc)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back