What hydraulic pump does my F656 have?

GR Gold

I am looking at putting a loader on a 1968 Farmall 656 tractor serial number 37213 S. I went to the Case IH website and it list both Cessna and Thompson hydraulic pumps with capacities of 9, 12, or 17 GPM. Without taking mine out, is there a way to tell what brand mine has and what capacity is? I just want to make sure the tractor would have good hydraulics for a loader. Thanks in advance for all your replies!

No way I know of to tell the brand of the pump but it would be a 12 gal if still factory. If it has a three point hitch, it will also have a 7 gal pump which joins aux valves when hitch is not raising. Power steering get first 3 gals per minute from 12 gal pump so if you have std drawbar that leaves 9 gal for aux valves.

The 656 could have a main hyd pump 12-15-17 gpm, most likely 12 was pretty std, it takes about 1 hp to run 1 gpm, they were same pressure just higher flow. Cessna or TRW-Thompson were interchangeable, just 2 different suppliers in case of problems. The 7 or 9 was the power steering tandem/piggyback pump.

I just had a refreshment of my brain. Early 656 used 12 and 7 gal pumps. Later ones used 17 & 9 gal HOWEVER, they used a different gear and mounting plate to slow those higher capacity pumps down to pump, (YOU GUESSED IT) 12 & 7 gal per min. Reason, reduce hydraulic noise level. Can't say it helped much but it sure got a lot of people confused on replacement parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back