What the H - tractor related

Ultradog MN

I'm working near the State Fairgrounds and right amidst the U of M farm campus research fields.
Both are right in St Paul. He main Ag campus with it's dozens of huge buildings are about an 80 away.
Somehow about a 40 got cut out of the U's 200? areable acres. Or maybe it never belonged to them.
Anyway, the whole 40 was developed into houses about 30 years ago.
So I went out to the pickup to get something this morning and hear the distinctive sound of a 2 cyl JD.
Now I know I did see some plowing when I was here last fall. About a 60 horse New Holland pulling 3 bottoms.
But I knew the U wasn't doing spring plowing with a 2 cylinder John Deere.
So I follow the sound, beyond the end of the cul de sac I'm in. The people on that end got bigger lots so two neighbors share about half a tillable acre.
And there's the H working.
An average old tractor.
Pulling about a 14" Allis plow.
The plow was nice. Probably never spent a night outside in it's life.
My dad had an H for a couple of years so I knew a little about them.
I walked up to watch the operation and maybe get a photo for the boards.
I could see that last year about 1/4 acre had been tilled.
The old guy pulls up and stops and the conversation goes a little like this;
Hi. I'm working in the area and heard a John Deere back here.
He starts to smile.
"Is that an H?"
"Yes it is."
I said, "What did those make? About 15 horsepower"
"On a good day. This one won't do that anymore.
I said, "Well, it's doing a nice job of plowing anyway. Is that an Allis plow?"
He said, "Yes."
"I never knew this was back here."
He said, "Yeah, my neighbor and I own larger parcels."
Then we talked for a bit.
I said, "You don't often see tractors plowing right in the middle of the city"
He said, "No. But I was raised on a farm so I still enjoy a little of it"
Then I said, "Well mister, I'm on the clock so I better get back to work."
He said, "Well, have a good morning."
I said, Thank you. You too. That's a real nice rig you have there.
He waved and throttled the engine back up and went to work.
As did I.
I don't think he had it over about 5/8 throttle. Beautiful black dirt that he's probably turned since they parceled this area out.
Funny but having played with old tractors and following these boards for a few years I could tell the soil was still a little wet to be plowing today.
My guess is it will clump up more when it dries.
But I'm not complaining. Neither was the H.
It was a nice thing to see this morning. And this was fun to write.
Thanks
a266784.jpg

a266785.jpg

I was at the St. Paul campus 1967-71...lived a couple of years on Fry St- those 3 brick apt buildings, where Castile got shot recently. Just west of the parking lot was U property, but usually not used for test plots like those on the south side of Larpenteur. One year they planted field corn. In the summer I walked into the field and discovered someone had planted a patch of sweet corn in the middle. Let"s just say that whoever had surreptitiously planted it, did not get to harvest ALL of it! It did taste good, though.

Things like that make life more interesting. Glad you took a few minutes out of a busy day to go chit chat and take a few pictures. Way to many folks would have missed out on a little bit of happiness! Thanks for sharing

Nice story, funny how we gravitate towards certain size tractors. When deciding what John Deere to own and restore strongly considered an H but bought a 50. Restored it heard a 60 run bought one and restored it. Enjoyed that tractor for years. Sold the 50 bought a 70 restored it now besides the 60 it is one of my all time favorite tractors. Both get used every season.

Great story and photos. I will be on my 76 year old JD H later today planting a sweet corn patch for my son and his family.
Richard in NW SC

My dad had an H back in the 60's. He bought it from the JD dealer where he worked. Paid $75 for it.

Dad and my uncle would have tug of war contests with the H and a Willys jeep. The H lost every time.

(quoted from post at 23:07:15 05/03/18) One year they planted field corn. In the summer I walked into the field and discovered someone had planted a patch of sweet corn in the middle. Let"s just say that whoever had surreptitiously planted it, did not get to harvest ALL of it! It did taste good, though.

Common practice where they grow sweet corn commercially.
The edge of field next to a road is always planted several rows deep with field corn.

I was there too; '72-'76 at the college of forestry. The campus itself wasn't near as crowded as now (and I'm speaking of my last time back, 25 years ago) and practicals for the surveying classes were conducted in the open land north of the campus. It was an odd pleasure to be in open, undeveloped land in the middle of town.

I remember when the surveying classes were done on the commons....South of the student union, west of Haecker? Hall...East of Cleveland Ave that bordered the campus. I wasn"t involved in that.. I had surveying classes in the Army Special Forces, Demolitions Training, before I went to college at the U.

Yepper on that. Nothing like it. This Houston Black Clay that I'm in "stinks" really good.

Hey "dog", on being too wet, what-cha-wanna bet that he waited as long as he could stand it and just said what the heck...we'll see if we
can do something. I have that problem with most of my hay crops.......can't wait to bail them and it's a real problem for me and I fight it
every crop.....course later in the year it's easier to accommodate myself. But that's no consolation as the spring cuttings are the lushest
and weather least cooperative as everybody knows. Thanks for the pics and the write-up.

I worked that area over as well. It was in the fall, my crew partner was African and that fall was his first exposure to cold weather. On a typical cold, wet, fall day he was holding the pole on a critical location, the whole exercise revolved around it. I checked the location, looked away to record some data then looked through the instrument again and saw nothing - he was gone. While I was looking, someone tapped me on the shoulder, it was him. A look of dread was in his eyes. He said, "If my feet get colder, I will DIE!" He walked off, that exercise was shot and I got a different crew partner.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back