Whats it Worth - 1980 White 2-155 Field Boss

jmandrze

1980 White Field Boss 2-155 w/ 4800hrs, full rake of front weights, rears with duals @ 80%, fronts @ 80%. Now the not so good, engine sounds like it has a slight knock and there is an issue with the hydraulics. The issue is no hydraulic power, so no power steering, PTO stopped working, and no hydraulic lift.

I had asked about the hydraulic issues previously as the tractor is owned by a friend and I was helping to get it sorted out. We check the obvious stuff that everyone pointed out and when that did not pan out, splitting the tractor was the next step and interest was lost. Now he is looking to possibly get rid of it and both of us are interested in what it would bring. Him for selling and me for possibly buying.

Scrap if hauled to a yard would be around $1300 give or take + the value of the tires and weights maybe around $3000 total. What does everyone think it is worth?

Thanks

Jason

I would think $3000 is a more than fair price with those issues, seen one sell at auction in good running condition, average tires, but poor paint, and interior for $5,000. A few years ago a neighbor had his 155 engine rebuilt and he had over $12,000 into just the engine. New oil pump alone was 2 grand.

Sounds like all you really got going for you is
tires and weights. You did the math I was kinda
looking at too. Keep in mind that tractor has a
single speed 1000 pto, so even if you fix that
tractor up, the value of it is less than a 2-135
with the 2 speed pto. Two thoughts I"d have- either
part it out, or pull the weights off the front and
haul it to a consignment sale and take what you get.
My 2 cents!

Sounds like the coupler stripped out on the back of the flywheel that runs the hydraulic oil pump. You can buy a new drive shaft and coupler pretty cheap to fix it. That might also be what the knocking sound is in the engine. I would put it back together and get it going. I would think it's worth $3,000. Should be a nice project for you. lots of used herc motors out there for sale in military trucks and generators.
a141146.jpg

That probably depends on location. A lot of 150 H.P. tractors around here that have not had the PTO hooked up! Boys have a 44 & 4640 Deere that have not had the PTO used since they have had the tractors.

Those motors are spendy to overhaul, and being at 4800 its
gonna need one, not many made it past 5000

We put new bearings and a new oil pump in a 2-135 last winter. The bill including labor was less than what he paid for the oil pump.

I overhauled the 478 in my 2-135 a few years ago for less than $1900.
That said,with nothing working AND a knock,are you sure there isn't just an issue with the PTO shaft or a coupler? It would echo up through the Over/Under and sound like it was coming from the back of the motor. You won't have to split it to find out,just pull the motor. I sure wouldn't be afraid to take a chance on it at $3000-3500. Might be the buy of your lifetime. 4800 hours aren't that many. I've got close to 10200 on my 135.

Thanks for the feedback. We will see where it goes. If the motor is on the way out, would a 8.3L Cummins be a good swap? I am guessing that would be around $10-$12k, for the engine and misc. parts with me doing all the work. Or would I be better off surfing the government auction site for a used engine? I don’t really know what I would use the tractor for we do all no-till with heavy cover cropping. Just trying to layout some options.

Jason

What's wrong with overhauling the engine that's in it? Look on a site that sells A&I parts. A complete kit for those engines is just north of $2800. I went right through Agco and got pistons,sleeves,rod bearings,main bearings and gaskets. Shipping and all,like I said,it was less than $1900. They aren't all that bad to work on either and quite a powerhouse when they're done. Why spend the money putting a Cummins in it?

where do you get your info from g1355? that hercules is twice the motor a minnie moe will ever be 5000 hrs are you kidding? that thing should get 8k to 10k hrs when properly maintained and they are NOT that expensive to work on theres a low hour one on ebay right now holds 50 psi oil pressure for less than 2500 so once again what are you talking about i think youre confused about which tractor and engine is in this discussion

totally agree j. i dont no where these guys are getting prices or info for these engines but id sure like to sell them some parts for those prices

i wld fix it no cummins repower though these are good tractors cummins would add a lot to the cost dont think it would be worth it at that point and if the herc does need rebuild it no where near 10k to 12k you could buy a nice running 155 for that

No We have had three 2-155 with the Hercules 478 and I know my facts, the old white/oliver/mm dealership which is now new holland around me says the same thing. And you will stick in quiet a bit of money compared to what the tractor is worth, I have one with 9000 hours that's the one of straitest ones left, my neighbor bought new, and if anything was taken care of it was, and it was overhauled right at 5000 hours. And don't think many 585 MM motors ever made 5000, maybe around 3,000, and its a complete motor, try overhauling one and paying the labor then you will see what I'm talking about. And I never said it was a bad motor by no means

Hi, I am in interested in the 2-155, call me or email me a couple pics and your location and we will go from there...Thanks Tim 715-643-2411

Depends on who's doing the work. If you can do it yourself, then yes it could be done for around what rrlund stated, but Dad's 135 was done at the Agco dealer at a cost of $11,000. Part of that
was for a new hyd. coupler, I think around $600.

BTW, 5,000 hours IS about it for those motors. If you get more than that you are a lucky man. Dad's had 3400. When overhauled right they can run 10,000 hours. Main improvements are redesigned piston rings and updated injection pump specs. Dad's tractor was totally different when he got it back. The engine had a bark to it that was never there from the factory, and it would actually start well in cooler weather. It was the worst starting tractor on the farm before the rebuild.

Sounds like possibly from the factory the herc had some issues that needed to be addressed and without proper maintenance could result in a shortened life. With a proper rebuild it sounds like it could be a real runner. But a rebuild of the motor sounds like the way to go from a cost perspective.

I am located in the thumb of Michigan. There is a local ANG base pretty close that has a fair amount of equipment sold every year on the government auction site and Ohio is a day trip so I think I could find a used motor in due time.

I don't know how motivated the guy is to sell, but I will ask and if he says no, I will just ask again in 6 months. The guy with the tractor is either going to get a hair and fix it or try and sell it. Either way the tractor will live on.

Jason

And here it is just so you believe me, it's my parade, have fun at local antique tractor pulls tractor.
a141208.jpg

If I remember right, the block where the sleeves sits against was cavitated, so block was stripped down and taken to get machined, fuel pump rebuilt, new hoses, new water pump, and whatever else didn't look quite right. The guys that rebuilt it made sure it is right when it leaves their privately owned shop. Another 2-155 from another neighbor was taken to an agco dealer and gone through, again, everything done to it and done right, he had close to 14,000 in his. I think both tractors were around 5,000 hour machines and in real good condition.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back