Wiring a 110 volt motor

Roy Suomi

I purchased a 1 1/2 hp motor for my old Craftsman air compressor. This motor is a 110-220 volt motor. It shows on the label which wires to
put together for 110 and which wires to change for reverse rotation. On the 110 volt diagram they are showing L1 and L2 being connected to
the wires that have to be tied together for proper operation. What the heck is L2 on a 110 volt schematic ?. Is L1 the black [ hot ] and L2
the white [ neutral } ? A little confusing to a wiring moron. Never heard of a neutral being called L2.. I get l1 and L2 on a 220 setup to
make it work. Thanks R.S.

A pic of the diagram wold be nice. If L1 and L2 are on the ends of the wires coming in I think you are correct. Jim

(quoted from post at 18:44:12 12/14/22)

You are overthinking this, the labels don't have to make sense to YOU!

Simply be sure to follow the 110 Volt diagram EXACTLY, being sure the tagged wires are connected EXACTLY as the diagram shows and all will be well.

L2 can be neutral or 120 volt. Same for L1. Th

Think of it this way, the motor doesn't need a neutral. It needs 120 volts between L1 and L2.

I usually use L1 for 120 and L2 for neutral, not that it matters.

(quoted from post at 21:44:12 12/14/22) I purchased a 1 1/2 hp motor for my old Craftsman air compressor. This motor is a 110-220 volt motor. It shows on the label which wires to
put together for 110 and which wires to change for reverse rotation. On the 110 volt diagram they are showing L1 and L2 being connected to
the wires that have to be tied together for proper operation. What the heck is L2 on a 110 volt schematic ?. Is L1 the black [ hot ] and L2
the white [ neutral } ? A little confusing to a wiring moron. Never heard of a neutral being called L2.. I get l1 and L2 on a 220 setup to
make it work. Thanks R.S.

If at all possible . Operation on 240V is recommended .

If you run it on 120, you'll wish you hadn't. But if you need it to be portable, then 120 volts gives you that.

I can't follow your description, but let me say this: Regardless of whether it's wired for 120 or 240, each winding will need 120 volts. However, on 120 volts one of the windings will need to have its connections reversed from the 240V configuration, because the two legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other.

Just remember if running at 240 you only draw HALF THE CURRENT if running at 120...Two 120 volt windings in PARALLEL could be ?? for operating on 120 while two in SERIES could be ?? for operating on 240 but I have no wiring diagram for your motor so cant know that for sure ... If wired at 240 you would use the two UNgrounded (AKA Hot/Line) conductors (each 180 out of phase with the other for 240 VAC) typically Red n Black with the Bare/Green Equipment GroundING Conductor wired to the case/frame. If you run at 120 it can be EITHER UNgrounded Conductor (L1 or L2) and the Grounded Conductor (AKA) Neutral with again the Bare/Green Ground to case/frame.

If you find the wiring diagram GO WITH IT versus any of our speculations here in the dark MINE SURE INCLUDED I just cant say from here what your labels mean !!!!!!!!

John T Long retired n rusty so NO warranty

(quoted from post at 09:44:08 12/15/22)
(quoted from post at 19:52:00 12/14/22)

What's the reason for this recommendation? Who is making this recommendation?
recommend it. Why? Because it works better.

(quoted from post at 09:54:24 12/15/22)
(quoted from post at 09:44:08 12/15/22)
(quoted from post at 19:52:00 12/14/22)

What's the reason for this recommendation? Who is making this recommendation?
recommend it. Why? Because it works better.

Wouldn't that give it more power to do those auto starts when using the air as the pressure drops down?

You'll need a double terminal pressure switch, one for each side of the 220v line if you choose to do 220v.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back