Work or Work Out?

showcrop

As you may know for a few weeks I have been recovering from hip replacement surgery and then from dying from a heart problem a few days after the surgery. Yesterday I had my first PT session for the hip, after initially being rejected because the evaluator told me that I was already recovered. I have been exercising, doing a workout that I already had for my hips as well as some strenuous walking. My wife had gotten me an Apple watch that keeps track of my heart and my exercise so I have been trying to keep the watch happy with activity. So, anyway during my first PT session yesterday, I kept checking my watch but it never measured any activity strenuous enough to count as exercise, and I ended the day well short of my daily exercise goal. Today I did half of my daily work out first thing in the morning, and then I had to go for an Xray and some errands. After lunch I needed to do some dirt work on the parking lot at my church so I hooked up my trailer, loaded my hoe and went down and did that job. When I got back home and unloaded and unhooked I checked the readout of my activity and it showed that I had nearly my whole day's scheduled cardio exercise just from that job I need to put in a disclaimer though that regardless of how active I am while working, that I have found that some muscles will never get enough use from my daily activity and need supplemental exercise to keep them ready for the rare time that they are needed.

Staying fit is a sure fire way to live a long and satisfying life. I played 2.5 hours of pickle ball last night plus I teach 4 classes (11 class
sessions) each week. I am glad to hear you are operational. Jim

my wife has some kind of fit bit watch thing for exercising. first time out mowing last year, she hopped on the tractor and about 5 hours of riding the
mower, it showed she walked. 22,000 steps. the watch must pick up vibrations from the tractor and read it as steps. .

I would say you are doing pretty good for what happened to you. Was your hip surgery lateral or anterior? I had a lateral hip replacement 2/3/20, had to stay in hospital 3 days and then went to a full care facility till 02/24/20. I had PT twice a day on week days and once a day on weekends. I still use a walker, but soon to graduate to a cane and doing PT 3 times a week for the next while. It hurts a lot less than before. Good Luck!

(quoted from post at 16:57:20 02/27/20) I would say you are doing pretty good for what happened to you. Was your hip surgery lateral or anterior? I had a lateral hip replacement 2/3/20, had to stay in hospital 3 days and then went to a full care facility till 02/24/20. I had PT twice a day on week days and once a day on weekends. I still use a walker, but soon to graduate to a cane and doing PT 3 times a week for the next while. It hurts a lot less than before. Good Luck!

mrslesq, I had anterior, I had to stay in the hospital for one night, then home using a cane for a week. I couldn't drive until three weeks, but I had to do the heart recovery in there too. I have no pain from the hip but still some from the chest compressions from CPR.

SVCummins, ten years ago I had bilateral hip surgery, both replaced at the same time. I had to have both hips replaced three times each in the course of six months. The first time they put in the wrong parts, cost $11,000. The second time my body thought it was healing a bone so my muscles were turning to bone (heterotopicosification). Cost $13,000. First and second surgeries by the same surgeon. To be fixed correctly the last surgeon refused to do both at the same time. These two surgeries were $70,000 for each hip. He had to remove some of the calcified muscle from each hip also. The third time was a charm. I can't bend as much as normal or pickup over 50 lbs now but still manage to do a lot of stuff. I repair a lot of equipment for friends still. I cant climb very well though. I do a lot of tent camping now and still ride motorcycle. The last surgeon said that I would never ride motorcycles again. 18 months after the last surgery I rode my Harley Sportster from near Waco, Tx to San Diego, Ca. Then up the coast and back home. I did this in 33 days and rode 3500 miles on mostly two lane roads and alone. It just made me want to ride even more. Not one bit of trouble with the bike or my hips. Rick

Don't believe the gadget. The vibration
and jaring from the hoe make it think
you're running a marathon. Even a riding
mower will do the same thing.

I guess Bruce was right all along 6$ diesel fuel isn?t to bad along side all that ! I guess a bullet in the head is the cheapest of the options when it comes right down to it though

(quoted from post at 04:32:08 02/28/20) Don't believe the gadget. The vibration
and jaring from the hoe make it think
you're running a marathon. Even a riding
mower will do the same thing.

M-MAN, not true. Working on a tractor or riding a snowmobile will result in my 'phone showing many flights of stairs climbed. 10 hours of snowmobiling on trails with moguls may register 160 flights. The exercise measurement from the apple watch however, is measured strictly by elevated heart rate.

(quoted from post at 00:00:06 02/28/20) What does a new hip cost
I don't need a joint replacement, but being around others that have, it seems that you have to find the right doctor that uses the right parts.
I know of people that have had joints replaced twice because the first ones didn't work right.
I don't think I would go back to the same doctor if he didn't get it right the first time.

My hunting buddy had his hip replaced 2 years ago right after hunting season. He went in that day and walked out the next morning absolutely
amazing what they can do now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back