Yellow and blue makes green

Ultradog MN

I learned that back when my mom used to buy those tablets that turned the water in the toilet bowl blue.
Since then I've learned a little more about the color spectrum and mixing paint.
I made a rolling base to go under my band saw this week. Wanted to paint it a similar color as the saw. I thought it might look close to new Oliver green so I went to Fleet farm to see if they had some.
All they sell is the older, darker Ollie green.
So I brought a piece of the blade guard to a couple of big box stores.
Nope.
Rustoleum only comes in a dark hunter green and they don't/can't tint oil based paint there. Shucks.
Wasn't going to spend big bucks on this so forget going to the automotive paint store.
Then I remembered I had a partial quart of Ford Tractor Blue and a partial qt. of New CAT Yellow at home.
So I did a bit of mix and match and voila!
Made just enough to do 2 coats on my parts.
It's 'not exactly' but close enough for a machine base.
So thanks Mom for buying those blue toilet water pills so long ago.
By the way, I looked online and you can still buy those blue toilet pills.
Anyone here still use them?
I always thought they seemed like money down the drain - so to speak.
Unless you're trying to teach a kid about the color spectrum...

cvphoto133490.jpg

I bought some Ford Gray. It was more white than gray so I added some black to it and we are happy with the color.

When I was big into putting together models I would mix rattle can paint to get the desired color I wanted. I would hit my auto painting buds up for what they had left of clear coat and the hardener to clear them with.

I never could get my son into it I set up base in his bedroom he had rather play games : ( A quick pix I did not want to pull the box off the shelf.

mvphoto96039.jpg

Did paint prep work for a guy while going to college. This was 1969-70 and most of the cars he would get to work on were from the fiftys. Hardly ever did the paint match that he ordered, so he would doctor it and make it match perfect. The guy taught me more than the college.

I was ready to paint a JD 630 back in th 70's. I bought the paint from the local JD dealer. It was in the fancy painted quart cans with silk screened labels. Saturday morning I popped the lids and discovered that the cans all contained blue paint. I rushed to the dealer, hoping to salvage the day. The place was crowded and I tried to quietly present the problem to the counter man, but he got loud and schooled me about yellow/blue/green. That drew the crowd. He grabbed a big screwdriver, popped a lid and started stirring. The paint got blue-er [is that a word?]. The crowd loved it. We checked every quart can of green in the building and they were all blue. I was apparently the first purchaser of that delivery of paint. Oh - on changing colors while stirring - the counter man's face changed to bright red.

I just did the same thing with gloss white and caution yellow to paint my rim centers to get close to the MH butter yellow. I didn't have anything to compare to, so it looks good from here. Looks like a little white in your mix would have gotten it even closer, but the shade is the same as your sample. Looks goot!! steve
cvphoto133510.jpg

A friend told me a story about a small girl that he asked if she knew why grass was green. She thought a bit and said, Well, Earl. The sun is yellow, the sky is blue and yellow and blue make green.

Maybe wasn't as funny as it was writing it though I know Stroby got it if no one else did.
So I'll mention the rolling base I built.
I set the bandsaw on it this morning.
It only raises the saw about an extra inch.
Was fun to make and will be nice to push the saw out of my way when it is not needed.

cvphoto133527.jpg

cvphoto133528.jpg

Remember Homer traveling tool shows I brought a mobile Equitment stand used haft of it on my brake lathe I can move it to clean then park it where I want it it stays solid. This would work I will try and get a pix of my modification a brake lathe is a heavy machine I would say as heavy as your saw.

click here

I know it look cheap its not like you are gonna ride it to town everyday.

I would say the lathe with tooling is a little over 500lbs. It rolls around like it weighs 10lbs.

mvphoto96099.jpg

parked

mvphoto96100.jpg

Homier stand I cut it out of.

mvphoto96101.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back