Your Opinion ?

Last Oct my dad passed away and we have since suspended the dairy operation. 60 years of farming and acumulting equipment have come to an end and we are contemplating have an auction this spring. Most of the equipment (not on the list below) I have no problem getting rid of but the Ford stuff I"m struggling with. The Jubilee listed is the first tractor I ever drove, back when I and that tractor were both around 6 years. The 801D SOS with the front plow is what I used to open the 1/2 mile of road in the winters so dad could make it in from his second shift factory job in town. I"d like to keep it all but that isn"t practical or even feasible unless I leave it at the farm. I"m considering buying the 801 w/front plow, the 801 with the single arm hydraulic loader and the jubilee. Once it"s gone, it"s gone. What would you do.

Corn picker, Single row, mounted
Corn picker, Single row, mounted
Irrigation pump with 4-Cylinder Ford Diesel engine
Manuals, Misc Ford tractor and equipment
Boom (Crane), 3-pt
Drawbar, Fixed, V Style
Flat Belt pulley ____ Spline
Half Tracks
Loader, Single arm, hydraulic trip (mounted on one of the 801D tractors)
Loader, Single arm, Mechanical trip converted to hydraulic trip (mounted on one of the 801D tractors)
Rear Blade, modified, 6", 3-pt
Rear Manure fork (cylinders mounted on Jubilee)
Slip Scoop (non-reversible), 3-pt
Slip Scoop (non-reversible), 3-pt
Swinging Drawbar assembly for 8N,NAA,hundred series
Wheel weights, Front
4-Spooler hydraulic control for 800/801 series tractor
Air filter intake for 800/801 series tractor
Air filter intake for 800/801 series tractor
SOS transmission, parts
SOS transmission, rebuilt but had a sticky valve, owner at the time had a 4-speed installed in its place)
Cultivator, 3-pt, with side shovel assembly, converted for Side Dressing
Cultivator, Field, 3-pt
Plow, 3-16, 3-pt
Ford 641 Gas, Sherman Over/Std/Hi range, rear wheel weights
Ford 801 series Diesel Select-O-Speed with remote hydraulics, Front Dozer/Snow Plow attachment, wedge/pie style rear wheel weights
Ford 801 series Diesel Select-O-Speed with remote hydraulics, Single Arm Ford Loader, Booster cylinders for 3-Pt lift, wedge/pie style rear wheel weights
Ford 801 series Diesel Select-O-Speed with remote hydraulics, Single Arm Ford Loader, wedge/pie style rear wheel weights

<a href="http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g271/keithw_2006/DSC00922Ac.jpg" target="_blank">
th_DSC00922Ac.jpg
</a>

First off, sorry for the loss of your Dad. What I would do with the stuff is irrelevant. But, since you asked, I have a hard time letting go of old steel knowing that like you said once it's gone, it's gone. That said, if you don't have a place to keep it inside and exercise it regularly, the condition of the equipment will degrade. In that case, I'd rather see it used than not. I don't know your situation, do you live on the farm or near it, do you have room for this stuff, etc. That would drive my decision.

I don't see a Jubilee listed, you do know a Jubilee & 641 are different tractors don't you? Similar in alot of ways but the 641 is a newer model with a few improvements.
I can see how you would hate to part with the collection, especially with it being in the family. I bought my first Ford tractor (860) about 3 years ago & fell in love with it.
What it boils down to it looks to me like is you don't need the great collection you have, but you also really hate to part with it. Can't really help you, just see why you have a delimena. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Oops there is a Jubilee, not sure how I missed it. The Jube has the sherman HSL and auxillary cylinders for the rear manure forks. Dad traded in a 2N for the jube in 1954. In 1960 he traded in a 1951 8N for his first of 3, 801 SOS tractors.
Thanks for your thoughts.

We are keeping the farm, renting the land out to my cousin. The equipment could stay at the farm but like you said if it don't get a little exercise it aint good either. My cousin who is renting the land collects Olivers. He has his dad's first 2 olivers and has since added a dozen or so more. Most of his collection is restored, kept inside and tarped. About once or twice a year he fires them all up, checks thing out, drains the fuel and parks them again.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss. If you have to sell some or all of it, use the free ad section on this site (picture ads get more responses than the classifieds, usally) so we can maybe help you out, and keep your Dad's equipment in use, doing what it was meant to do.

Sounds like you have a place to keep more than a few things, so why not sell now what has no tug at you and keep the rest until your heart - not your head - tells you what to do with the rest. It might be next year, it might be 20 yrs from now before you know. I know still I value the handmade knife of my grandfather - who I never knew. It's no gem, wasn't even in its best days, and it's something that could've very easily gone out in the trash when he passed away.

Yes, it"s not good for equipment to sit too long but in a barn and tarped will make it easier to bring things back to life. Might see mice nests, chewed wiring, but the mice aren"t going to use torches, spray paint, or sledge hammers on things. Also, consider at some of the weatherbeaten, ridden hard, put away wet equipment that has been brought back to life and proudly shown on this board.

If you keep what you want, you might check the archives or ask the best way to store things (esp. thinking about the SOS"s).

Our best to you.

Back in "96 my dad sold the farm. At the time he had the 8N which he had bought for me when I was 10 ("56) and a FUNK V8 along with the equipment, plow, scoop, cultivator F&R, and serious parts and manuals. (He was the local tractor rebuilder) I had no place for the stuff and figured I would never have need for another Ford so it all went on the block. Since that time old Ford disease returned and several (8Ns, Jubilee, 871, 881, 2000) have passed through but I really haven"t missed the original pair. I guess it all depends on what you are after, for me it is finding and fixing. Once they are done it"s a pain to keep them up when I have no use (jobs) for a tractor.
The Funk would have been grand to restore, but then a pain to keep up. It went to Palmer Fossum and many more people have had the chance to see it and hear it than ever would have if I"d kept it. Bottom line is some advice I was given long ago "Never fall in love with something that can"t love you back."

Keith, Sorry for the loss of your father.I lost my grandfather 3 years ago.I am fortunate enough to still farm with my dad so we are able to keep all of "Pa's" equipment.I am a diesel tech by trade, so for me by keeping his tractors running and used it almost seems there is a part of him is still here.Maybe you can keep the pieces you hold dearest and since you still have the farm maybe your cousin will need help once in a while and you can exercise the old girls. God Bless.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back