1952 Farmall Steering Question

All of a sudden my Farmall Cub AG Tractor started doing a left turn on me if turn loose of steering wheel for a few seconds. Haven't hit anything with front end, all bolts and clamps are really tight. Just started doing it.???Any ideas, tips, or just what is wrong with it and How can I fix it. I am very New with the Farmall IH Cub and into antique tractors also. I am not much of a mechanic, but I can follow instructions very well.....Would appreciate it very much!!!!!

All of a sudden my Farmall Cub AG Tractor started doing a left turn on me if turn loose of steering wheel for a few seconds. Haven't hit anything with front end, all bolts and clamps are really tight. Just started doing it.???Any ideas, tips, or just what is wrong with it and How can I fix it. I am very New with the Farmall IH Cub and into antique tractors also. I am not much of a mechanic, but I can follow instructions very well.....Would appreciate it very much!!!!!
The primary factor is tire pressure. Check that first. The steering mechanism is neutral from the tierods up. the left side does have more load on it from the offset nature of the tractor. Mud/soft soil will also affect the more heavily loaded (left) tire. Jim

The primary factor is tire pressure. Check that first. The steering mechanism is neutral from the tierods up. the left side does have more load on it from the offset nature of the tractor. Mud/soft soil will also affect the more heavily loaded (left) tire. Jim
I did just put new tires on all 4 wheels just before this started up. Air Pressure is equal in both wheels at front and rear according to specs. in pressure amounts. Haven't had it in soft soil etc as of yet. This was while mowing on hard pasture ground and on the hard surface road over to pasture and back.?? Thanks for reply good to have tha in knowledge bank for future also. Thanks-Silverfoxx.

I did just put new tires on all 4 wheels just before this started up. Air Pressure is equal in both wheels at front and rear according to specs. in pressure amounts. Haven't had it in soft soil etc as of yet. This was while mowing on hard pasture ground and on the hard surface road over to pasture and back.?? Thanks for reply good to have tha in knowledge bank for future also. Thanks-Silverfoxx.
Appreciated very much-Silverfoxx...

Sometimes the clamps on the axle where you adjust tread width get loose. Run that way, the pins and holes through the axle wear and let the outer axle turn a limited amount. Eventually the outer axle will drag back so the kingpin angle becomes negative. They don't track well that way. Make sure your outer axles are positioned so the center of the wheel is forward of the axle.

I went and double checked and the air in both front and back wheels are at the specs required from manual. So that is not it but thanks anyway I was not aware of that before. So I will know that much in future also.

Sometimes the clamps on the axle where you adjust tread width get loose. Run that way, the pins and holes through the axle wear and let the outer axle turn a limited amount. Eventually the outer axle will drag back so the kingpin angle becomes negative. They don't track well that way. Make sure your outer axles are positioned so the center of the wheel is forward of the axle.
That may be my problem and I will check and do as needed, if so. Many Thanks as that really sounds as if it could be the culprit....Thanks again-Silvefoxx.

I went and double checked and the air in both front and back wheels are at the specs required from manual. So that is not it but thanks anyway I was not aware of that before. So I will know that much in future also.
Just got thru exploring a possible left brake stuck, and that was not the case....Anymore great tips please keep them coming. Getting Desperate!

if the mower is a belly mount and didn't hange level it could drag on the low side more than the other causing a pulling effect to it. Oil low in one final drive causing it to turn harder would also do it. Or a bearing starting to go out.

All of that looks good Jim, But I am no mechanic and not one around here in 50 miles or so that is and they do mostly compete restores and stuff like mine in a fill in between jobs. So you never know whaat to expect and get done or when so I don't mess with those.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to get to checking that out today or tomorrow one. Silverfoxx....
Yep she is a Belly Mower and with it raised on level concrete each side of Mower is 4 3/4" from cement.?? Overall just eyeing it is apparently Level to the eye. Now Tomorrow I will check out both final Drive Units to see if they are low or empty as I have not checked them in about 6 or 7 months since I pulled and cleaned them all out and reinstalled and refilled them then.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to get to checking that out today or tomorrow one. Silverfoxx....
Yep she is a Belly Mower and with it raised on level concrete each side of Mower is 4 3/4" from cement.?? Overall just eyeing it is apparently Level to the eye. Now Tomorrow I will check out both final Drive Units to see if they are low or empty as I have not checked them in about 6 or 7 months since I pulled and cleaned them all out and reinstalled and refilled them then.

if the mower is a belly mount and didn't hange level it could drag on the low side more than the other causing a pulling effect to it. Oil low in one final drive causing it to turn harder would also do it. Or a bearing starting to go out.
Are you referring to a wheel bearing maybe could going out or some other bearing.??? Also I will check out both final drives for correct amount of oil in there also tomorrow.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back