1952 Farmall Steering Question

Hi Fellows, Well I just want to thank all of you for your. dedicated tips, thoughts etc. to correct this steering problem. It is just beyond my realm and nothing has worked. I tried really hard to fix it but I just cant do it. One being I am 92 and cant do a lot at a time, so it takes me too long to get anything done to it. The other thing is beyond my low strength level, is being able to figure things out as once did. You all tried what I thought was your best guess and seemed entirely possible and I thank you all for that. I went out to the tractor shed which is enclosed entirely where it is kept and built a raised floor to keep it off of the ground and is 12" off of ground this way. I jacked it up all way around and put jack stands under each axle to leave tractor suspended in air to keep weight off of the the brand new tires and removed the Battery Cables. I have Given UP !!! There it will be left I guess till after I am gone...All the Best !!!! Silverfoxx ....
CHeck the pressure in the rear tires. if the left tire is low it can do the steering tendency. Even if you walk away someone will need a hint. Jim

CHeck the pressure in the rear tires. if the left tire is low it can do the steering tendency. Even if you walk away someone will need a hint. Jim
Jim & All you Guys I am sorry but I just cant walk away from it knowing it needs fixing and that is just not ME, by letting it go like this. We have had over qa week of rain here and when it quits and dries up a little I am going to bring it back out of storage and restart my endeavors over to try to figure it out and get it fixed to drive in a straight line as IT DID BEFORE ALL OF THIS STARTED. It is not a work tractor but a Neighborhood play toy for the children to ride on the straw bales in the trailer and they get so thrilled from it I can't just quit. I do use them, the tractor and trailer in Parades during the year and they Love that, and I LOVE making them happy. This has got on my nerves so bad I cant sleep or rest while awake thinking of it stored with a Problem. So as I said I am going to start again once ground dries out good. So be thinking PLEASE of anything we haven't tried before to fix this Farmall Cub. Thanks a bunch to a lot of fine fellows and tips to try. Silverfoxx....

Jim & All you Guys I am sorry but I just cant walk away from it knowing it needs fixing and that is just not ME, by letting it go like this. We have had over qa week of rain here and when it quits and dries up a little I am going to bring it back out of storage and restart my endeavors over to try to figure it out and get it fixed to drive in a straight line as IT DID BEFORE ALL OF THIS STARTED. It is not a work tractor but a Neighborhood play toy for the children to ride on the straw bales in the trailer and they get so thrilled from it I can't just quit. I do use them, the tractor and trailer in Parades during the year and they Love that, and I LOVE making them happy. This has got on my nerves so bad I cant sleep or rest while awake thinking of it stored with a Problem. So as I said I am going to start again once ground dries out good. So be thinking PLEASE of anything we haven't tried before to fix this Farmall Cub. Thanks a bunch to a lot of fine fellows and tips to try. Silverfoxx....
You never did answer the question I asked weeks ago:

Does it feel like it's constantly fighting you to turn left, or can you hold it on a straight track with little effort?

If it's fighting you to pull to the left then there has to be something obviously wrong. Left front wheel kicked off to the left when the right wheel is straight. Right front wheel kicked off to the left when the left front wheel is straight. Either of those could be caused by a bent tierod or something having slipped.

A stuck left rear brake would have other symptoms. Your tractor would be low on power and struggling to move all the time. It wouldn't just drive normally then dart left when you let go of the steering wheel. When you pushed the clutch, the tractor would stop abruptly, trying to throw you over the steering wheel. The tractor would have a hard time starting out when you let out the clutch.

Without more information I doubt you are going to get much more input. You have already seen everyone's best guess. Does it pull constantly so you have trouble holding the steering wheel in one place or does it just fight you when you try to turn the wheels?

When did this start happening? While mowing the pasture? While driving on the hard surface road? When you transitioned from the field to the road? One day when you first started it up? BE SPECIFIC.

Give us some pictures, at least these: One straight on from the front. One straight from the side towards the front wheel from each side. One as close as possible to straight down towards each steering arm.

Without more information I doubt you are going to get much more input. You have already seen everyone's best guess. Does it pull constantly so you have trouble holding the steering wheel in one place or does it just fight you when you try to turn the wheels?

When did this start happening? While mowing the pasture? While driving on the hard surface road? When you transitioned from the field to the road? One day when you first started it up? BE SPECIFIC.

Give us some pictures, at least these: One straight on from the front. One straight from the side towards the front wheel from each side. One as close as possible to straight down towards each steering arm.
For the pics, we understand you're 92 and may not be technically savvy or even have a smartphone, but surely you can employ one of those neighborhood children to post the pictures for you.

You never did answer the question I asked weeks ago:

Does it feel like it's constantly fighting you to turn left, or can you hold it on a straight track with little effort?

If it's fighting you to pull to the left then there has to be something obviously wrong. Left front wheel kicked off to the left when the right wheel is straight. Right front wheel kicked off to the left when the left front wheel is straight. Either of those could be caused by a bent tierod or something having slipped.

A stuck left rear brake would have other symptoms. Your tractor would be low on power and struggling to move all the time. It wouldn't just drive normally then dart left when you let go of the steering wheel. When you pushed the clutch, the tractor would stop abruptly, trying to throw you over the steering wheel. The tractor would have a hard time starting out when you let out the clutch.
Sorry if I Missed it.
I am sorry ifI overlooked your question Barnyard. But I had answered it a couple times in answers to previous guys post and my initial post. No Sir it does not fight me at wheel one bit. It takes hardly any effort all to keep it in a straight ahead line while driving it. Would a stripped bolt at the clamp like at top of spindle that clamps around the top of King Pin do this I suspect this , do not know till next week. Also could same area where this is could the Moon KEY be missing, worn out, or broken off. This what I am going to be looking at next week when I rolll it back out of storage and restart my efforts to fix.
Silverfoxx

Sorry if I Missed it.
I am sorry ifI overlooked your question Barnyard. But I had answered it a couple times in answers to previous guys post and my initial post. No Sir it does not fight me at wheel one bit. It takes hardly any effort all to keep it in a straight ahead line while driving it.
I just went back and looked at all your posts in this thread just to see if I missed it. From what I can see, the only symptom you described is in the first post: "Tractor started doing a left turn on me if turn loose of steering wheel for a few seconds." There was no suggestion that it wasn't constantly fighting to turn left. So are you REALLY saying it is hard to turn the wheels to the right? If so, your problem is inside the steering gear box. You have some combination of worn (or even rusted) bushings, thrust washers, gear (worm wheel), and worm wheel shaft (the vertical shaft) that allow the worm wheel to contact the cast housing then it is loaded with the side thrust from the worm gear. When I had one like that, I had to replace the worm wheel and worm wheel shaft.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back