to be clean and torqued. So ever sense the overhaul the
tractor had a ticking sound that sometimes is a knocking
sound. He asked if I could figure out that problem. So
tore into the engine. Heads had to come off anyway as
the gasket leaked antifreeze externally. I looked over
everything as it came apart. Pulled pan checked
everything over on lower end. Made the decision to pull
pistons as Im right there and wouldnt take long. Cleaned
everything and didnt really find anything that sticks out.
Heres my question, as Ive pulled pistons and kinda plan
to reuse the rings should I hone the cylinders a little and
reassemble? Dont hone and reassemble? What would
you guys do? Dont really want to replace the rings as
these look ok. Ive had different opinions over the last 25
years of being a mechanic on issues like this.

I would give it a light honing with apiece of emery cloth or sandpaper
using my hands on the paper. Just enough to scuff it lightly.
If it were making a ticking, or knocking noise and all you have done looks good,
there is another problem that needs to be found.
Kris

Wrist pins feel good. I dont think he had rods checked for straightness. Im not totally done cleaning and inspecting also.

Never thought to just break the glaze by hand with emery paper. Ive got a little more to clean and inspect. It kinda stinks when you try to find a problem from someone else work.

I've used a ball hone and de-glazed the sleeves and had good results. Are the pistons in the right way? Found that on an engine once...pistons are cut to clear the valves and one was in backward.

(quoted from post at 11:29:27 03/08/22) Wrist pins feel good. I dont think he had rods checked for straightness. Im not totally done cleaning and inspecting also.

A bent or twisted rod (not enough to see by "eyeballing it") can cause strange noises.

A light hone will just insure the rings will seat properly. Either a bead home or emery paper as one person said above. Also I have witnessed the bad injector knock as John said, a 3208 Cat. It resembles a rod bearing. Too much diesel and it honestly sounded like the motor was going to detonate. Also consider plasti gage the bearings on the lower end? While it's apart? Hope you get it fixed. Nick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back