1510d lost front wheel power and hear grinding metal :-(

ivanh-HT

New User
Hello Aaron and Hoye Peeps,

I have a 1510d and was using it to harvest firewood when I noticed a total loss of front wheel drive power. The rear wheels are fine including the foot lever for pozzy. I had to drop the trailer and crawl to place where I could get a rescue trailer in, about 1/4 mile. The front drive bucked once and definitely heard some bad sounds. Shifting in/out of 4wd has no noticeable impact now, shift feels normal, no more bad noises.

The 4wd was known to not work prior to any bad noises. The rear tires dug into light mud on level ground, which prompted me that something was very wrong. I dropped the trailer and as I got "unstuck" that is when front end tried to bind up and there was one "buck" like something broke free and cleared from the drive train.

I cleaned up the front end and left it sit for a few days and there are no obvious breaks in any of the casings, no new leaks, plenty of 90 weight in front axle. With front end lifted, the front tires spin freely without noises at any steering position. Front differential seems fine in that wheels spin freely in opposite directions when elevated.

My question is where to start disassembly to investigate what broke? Maybe there are known issues that are high probability candidate? Maybe there is an "easy" path, simplest first?

Good thing I got the firewood home to heat the garage through winter while I do this repair <E>:)</E> Any and all advice welcome, including the snarky, I have thick skin.

It is hard to say. It could be anything from a broken knuckle gear (very bad) to a sheared roll pin on the driveshaft (super easy... and cheap). I would probably check the driveshaft first.Those knuckles are really easy to take apart so, if the driveshaft looks good, I might just drop those and check them out next.

Aaron's words are almost always correct.

Here is 2 cents from the new guy:
My first question after your troubleshooting would be - were you in 2x4 or 4x4 when you rotated the wheels? If your dropbox was in 2x4, then there is binding. As I recall, the wheels will turn opposite when the driveshaft is stopped from turning.

Your experience sounds like when I broke my front driveshaft. It seemed to have a lot of wear and "jumped" the spline, thereby ruining it. Bought a new one from Hoye and all is great. If you replace it, check to see if the rear spline exterior fits your drive-line cover. Mine needed grinding to fit.

pozzy = ? (not being snarky!)

<QUOTE><s>
</e></QUOTE>

If I gave you my wife's phone number would you mind explaining this to her? It would save us so much time when we have a disagreement. <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E>

<QUOTE author="Aaron"><s>
</s><QUOTE><s>
</e></QUOTE>

If I gave you my wife's phone number would you mind explaining this to her? It would save us so much time when we have a disagreement. <E>:lol:</E> <E>:lol:</E><e>
/s>ALMOST<e>[/i]</e></I> always!

But sure, call if you wish; my wife would sure would like to tell her how often I'm correct - almost never!

Thanks again for the tips. I was in 4wd when this happened. I seem to recall wheels spinning backwards historically when I elevated them. Unfortunately I had to take a biz trip so won't be able to crack it open until after Thanksgiving.

Pozzy is slang for positive traction which is what they used to call a locked differential, straight axle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back