1948 8N rebuild progress

Heres something I need to fix up as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4526.jpeg
    IMG_4526.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4527.jpeg
    IMG_4527.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 41
Got the axle housings coated with epoxy primer.
Went ahead and got them coated for rust protection. Smoothing out the surface will come later.

Attachments

• IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Got the glyptal brushed on the inside of the axle housings. Took awhile with a long radiator brush.

Attachments

• IMG_4554.jpeg
    IMG_4554.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4552.jpeg
    IMG_4552.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4553.jpeg
    IMG_4553.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Looks nice. How does the Epoxy primer work? Do you mix small batches of resin/hardener and brush on? Another thing I need to Google!

Looks nice. How does the Epoxy primer work? Do you mix small batches of resin/hardener and brush on? Another thing I need to Google!
Thanks, You get the Epoxy primer itself and a catalyst basically a resin/harderner like you mentioned. It mixes 2:1 primer to catalyst and you wait 15min before you spray it on after mixing. It seals off the metal to prevent rusting and does not fill like a high build primer. I use an HVLP spray gun just like I do when spraying the color.
I am using PPG Omni MP170 and the catalyst is MP175.

You can also put body filler right over top of it. No need to sand to bare metal. The epoxy does need scuffed though if waiting more than 3 days to topcoat.

You can get it in a spray can but if you dont use it all after mixing it goes bad.

My next step after I get these all in epoxy will be to scuff or sand the epoxy and then put some body filler over the problem areas. After that I will coat it with MP282 surfacer which is a filler or 2k primer which is also 2 parts.

I dont do this for a living so I am not an expert. My dad restored a lot of classic cars so I have been around it for a long time and worked with him some in my spare time.

Last edited:
Glyptal on the trans is finished.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.jpeg
    IMG_4571.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4573.jpeg
    IMG_4573.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Rear diff housing. It was hot today and the glyptal was drying fast. This one also took the longest to get everything painted inside. I think if I got it in a spray can as well I could of sprayed some of the hard to reach spots and saved some time.

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4594.jpeg
    IMG_4594.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4595.jpeg
    IMG_4595.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Got the trans gears and rear diff cleaned up today.
JJay48
I will be picking up my Dad's 64Ford4000 tractor next week so I will be getting in deep this winter. I am not as skilled a mechanic as you obviously are so I will not be tearing down as far as you have but your pictures keep me inspired. I will rebuild the engine and possibly replace the clutch but the drive train will just be flushed and cleaned unless I find an obvious problem. The transmission is an SOS transmission but the 15 years I drove this tractor, in the late 60's early 70's, we never had a problem but that was a long time ago 🤞.

JJay48
I will be picking up my Dad's 64Ford4000 tractor next week so I will be getting in deep this winter. I am not as skilled a mechanic as you obviously are so I will not be tearing down as far as you have but your pictures keep me inspired. I will rebuild the engine and possibly replace the clutch but the drive train will just be flushed and cleaned unless I find an obvious problem. The transmission is an SOS transmission but the 15 years I drove this tractor, in the late 60's early 70's, we never had a problem but that was a long time ago 🤞.
If you can do the engine you could completely tear down the 8N. I was a bit worried about taking apart the trans at first but there are a few videos out there which helped. I still have to get it back together as well haha. Just have the mindset that if someone else can do it so can you. You know unless it takes some expensive specialty tool but these tractors were not designed that way. If you have an air compressor and a welder your pretty set. A 20 ton press from harbor freight doesnt hurt either.

I dont know too much about the 4000 but I would assume its not as simple as the 8N. I was watching a guy work on an 861 Diesel and kept thinking how much more there is to work on and how the 8N was perfect for my attention span lol. Just take it day by day though.

JJay48
i'm not a mechanic, i'm a lifelong ubernerd. i started working heavily in computers in 1980, at the age of 25.

but i got this 2N about 15 years ago and it had tons of blowby - smoked profusely from both ends. now, what i am NOT Is a motorhead. i have a limited collection of tools and a pretty much matching amount of experience to go with them.

but i DO have a friend who's a motorhead and has rebuilt several engines. i borrowed him (and his all-important ring compressor) and got to work. with his guidance (there were plenty of "LMREO* WHAT do u think you're doing there?" along the way) but we got the job done. no more smoke screens from either end.

now granted, i only had the help of one guy. you've got all of us here. that, and a camera, and my money says u can do this too.

*rear end ;)

for the first time, i'm happy the form caches your last post in a particular thread :D

now granted, i only had the help of one guy. you've got all of us here. that, and a camera, and my money says u can do this too.
That is a huge advantage we have now days. Lots of information available quickly and we can easily communicate with others who have the experience. The operator manuals and service books don't always cover everything.

Got the pinion back together with new bearings and races. Set it right around 14in-lbs while turning.

Attachments

• IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
New races in the axle housings, bearings on the diff, and the new pilot bearing in the diff case.

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4609.jpeg
    IMG_4609.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Top cover sandblasted and primed it along with the oil pan. May paint the glyptal tomorrow on the inside. Going to start sandblasting more parts now.

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpeg
    IMG_4613.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4616.jpeg
    IMG_4616.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I cleaned up some more parts today and straitened the hydraulic control rod some. Does this look good enough? Im not sure exactly how it should look as mine was bent pretty bad.

Attachments

• IMG_4631.jpeg
    IMG_4631.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4632.jpeg
    IMG_4632.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4636.jpeg
    IMG_4636.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4630.jpeg
    IMG_4630.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back