1950 8N Electrical Question.

First time replacing points on side mount distributor and I got no spark after setting new points at .025. I have
spark to the coil. I also replaced the condenser and rotor. Should I see spark as the points open and close with
the distributor cap off and turning engine over with the ignition on?

Del, some, if not all new points come with a protective coating on the contacts. You might try squirting some brake clean on a piece of brown paper bag and run that through the points while they are closed.
To answer your question, yes you should see some spark, the easier way is, with the key on, points closed, just separate them with a screwdriver or something like that.
If nothing else works, go back to the original condenser.

(quoted from post at 16:08:08 07/15/22) First time replacing points on side mount distributor and I got no spark after setting new points at .025. I have
spark to the coil. I also replaced the condenser and rotor. Should I see spark as the points open and close with

I check mine with the cap and rotor off either by cranking the motor over or by making sure the points are closed and with the ign key on, I use a small screw driver or what ever I have to open the points. You should get a spark out of the coil output wire. I like to open the points by hand and hold the coil wire near engine block so that I can see the spark. works for me!

6V or 12V system? FWIW & FYI, for those others who need to know: As JMOR said, timing marks are numbered on the flywheel in two places exactly 180 apart and is stated in the manuals. The timing marks can be observed on the flywheel bell housing under the window port. When engine is off, crank/flywheel stop at one of the two places so that is why you sometimes get ringgear teeth wear there. Angle mount distributors are all set and timed the same with the late 8N (after s/n 263843)timed at 4 BTDC at 400 RPM, the 600 at 8 BTDC, and the 800 at 5 BTDC. Breaker points are set at .025 +/- .001 . You need a timing light to set correctly and the procedure is also in all the manuals, which I know you have Del. Firing order is: 1,2,4,3.

FORD 8N ANGLE MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:
7KjkEJKh.jpg
8kngKEah.jpg

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
qI9P22kh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 15:08:08 07/15/22) First time replacing points on side mount distributor and I got no spark after setting new points at .025. I have
Let's clarify something first. You state "I have spark to the coil" explain what that means.
The coil creates the spark that travels to the spark plugs. Do you mean to say you have voltage at the coil primary side?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back