1952 8N BLOCK?

Good afternoon all, So my 8N may have a serious issue. It was overheating, so I put it in the Garage and
tore it down, out a new Head Gasket on it (it overheated really bad while brush hogging)and then replaced
the entire cooling sustem. New Radiator, water pump hoses, and she started and ran just fine. But again
after running about 10 minutes she started overheating. A lot of steam coming out from what appeared to
be the lower front end of the engine. I couldn't get close enough to see well. I have a friend who is a
master mechanic checking head pressure etc... but the more we talked, the more it sounds like it may be
the block itself. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? And does anyone know if Blocks are available?
I am thinking I will buy a non-running 8N to use as parts if the engine is good, but just in case, I am
looking for possible blocks as well. Any info is greatly appreciated.

That could be caused by a number of things. Like a block that needs a good flushing due to rust/lime build up. Or if someone used the old style and then the new type antifreeze and mix them that can cause a gell in the block which is bad news.

When the head was off, was it checked for flat and/or surfaced? If the head was warped it will not seal even with a new gasket.

Other factors, the block surface needs to be cleaned down to bright metal, all residue removed, which means removing the studs, if equipped. The bolt holes chased with a tap, the bolt threads cleaned with a wire brush, replaced if showing signs of corrosion or thread damage.

Installing a stud kit will help, if that has not already been done.

The bolts/nuts must be torqued to spec in a tightening pattern, retorqued after first run up to temperature. If the thermostat was not replaced, replace it. Common for a thermostat to be damaged from overheating.

Finally, check the coolant level as the engine comes up to temp. When the thermostat opens it may take more coolant.

Anything is possible, but those do not have a history of heat cracking the head or block. They can freeze crack, then having the head off disturbed something, but do review everything before assuming the worst.

Blocks are pretty easy to find especially front mounts. Have one sitting in the barn right now and and I'll never get around to rebuilding it. It burned oil but ran well. Ones needing rebuilding are relatively inexpensive. I'm on my third engine in 20 years. These engines were used in a variety of applications besides tractors which increases supply even more. I'm not much of a mechanic but swapping in a running engine on one of these is a long weekend of work with basic tools and cheaper than rebuilding one. My last one came from a farmer who was putting a V8 in an 8N he had bought specifically for that reason, he was a real craftsman. It was a sidemount with 20 lbs of oil pressure. I paid $700, but it was the complete running engine with everything attached. That said I bought a block from a member of this community years ago for $200 in which the scoundrel had smeared grease over a hairline crack. Because of that I prefer buying a running engine and simply swapping them out. They are plentiful once you start looking, you can even buy professionally rebuilt engines for around $3000 but that's more than the tractor is worth. Start looking, as they are plentiful.

Thanks everyone for the GOOD INTELL! When I put the head back on, I torqued everything down. Found out I still had the issue and took it to my friend; he has a shop with every mechanical Gadget you could want. Once he does the pressure checks, I'll have a better Idea. It will probably be a winter project, though because my big project this year was replacing the front wall of my 153-year-old Bank Barn. The barn itself is still in good shape, I put a new roof on last year, and a French drain in on one side. This year I dug out the hillside, took out the old wall (built a temp wall to hold) and just got done laying the block. Last part is replacing several Beams and then getting her closed up again before winter. I also put a French drain in on the side I am working on so the whole barn is drained all the way around. That said, I don't have the time to tear into it... yet, but I love my old 8N... so I am starting to research my options and the possibilities now... Thanks again!

He said a 52 so it is a side mount distributor, not a front mount and the 52 I don,t think used studs but bolts. And I have never heard of a blok cracking unless it froze up and cracked that way. Look for something else other than a cracked block.

I'm with old the block is probably plugged up with decades of rust and scale. About all that is left since he put a new rad and water pump on with new belt. Check thermostat in pan of water with a candy thermometer for open at correct temperature on the stove.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back