3020 3 Point Hitch Draft Link Seized

John in MD

Trying to get the drawbar (AR28570) out of the tube (AR32548). I had it apart about 3 years ago and steamed everything and put never seize on everything and put it together, the right side is fine, but the left side is stuck. I've tried ATF with acetone, penetrating oil, even chained it between 2 trees and used ratchet binder to keep a strain on drawbar (slug) while I tapped on it with 3 pound hammer, heated with a torch and got it cherry red and smoking, nothing. It's been soaking for a month. I hate to throw it in a fire and bake the never seize and dirt into a brick. I don't want to try and jerk it apart with a tractor, but... looking for more ideas.

I freed up some severely frozen 2030 draft arms using a white vinegar and salt solution. I filled a 5-6 gallon plastic bucket with a 1 cup of salt to 1 gallon of vinegar mixture and stood the arms in the bucket with the drawbar end down in the mixture. Soaked them a couple days and took them out and beat on them with a 6 lb. hammer. A lot of crud came out. I did this soak and beat operation two or three times before they came free. Once they are out neutralize them with water and baking soda.

I had the same problem with my 4020, tried penetrating oil, fire, sledge hammer, chained it to a stump and tried pulling it apart with the tractor, nothing worked. What it really needed was a hard impact in the axial direction. I finally chained one end to the front end loader, and chained a 50 pound weight to the other end. Picked it up with the front end loader so it was suspended about a foot off the ground. I used a ladder to climb up beside the loader where I could pick up the weight and drop it. It took about 20 tries, but it finally broke free.

Bout all I can say is good luck! We tried freeing one up on a 4020. Tried heat, hammering, and hooking it to a 2950 and pulling. Nothing worked.

I like your idea. I have broke three sets of 800 hitch draft arms and a set a 2640 draft arms apart. My usual way has been to hang them off of a skid steer bucket. Heat them and then heat some more and then beat down on them with a 8 pounder. A weight being dropped sounds easier than pounding with a sledgehammer

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back