4020 Ventilator Pump - Special Screws Question

mtb34

Vent pump leaking oil from screws ... looks like someone put it on without the "special screws with nylon inserts".

I am not familiar with them. They are avail thru Deere pretty cheap.

Can anyone tell me if they are reusable or a 1 time thing?

How much engine oil should be in that timing cover?

I found a picture of them online. See photos.

Is there an alternative like Permatexing them?

mvphoto106363.jpg

mvphoto106364.jpg

mvphoto106365.jpg

Clean the bolts and threaded holes with a shot of Brakekleen and allow to air dry, put a little good 'ol Permatex on the bolt threads and install 'em and snug 'em up, should be the end of that issue.

As to how much oil should be in the timing cover, the bottom of it is wide open to the oil pan below so I wouldn't expect to see much residual oil there!

Thanks for the response on the screws.

On the oil I was wondering how much passes by behind the cover when the engine is running. I have read several articles where people complain about the vent pump sucking engine oil into the intake. I don't seem to have that problem on mine. Oil consumption isnt really noticeable but
people say to block the vent pumps off.

(quoted from post at 16:32:41 06/05/23) Thanks for the response on the screws.

On the oil I was wondering how much passes by behind the cover when the engine is running. I have read several articles where people complain about the vent pump sucking engine oil into the intake. I don't seem to have that problem on mine. Oil consumption isnt really noticeable but
people say to block the vent pumps off.

In normal operation, the ventilator pump draws in filtered air from the air intake tube after the air cleaner and forces it into the crankcase, tossing bad stuff out the vent tube hanging down from the valve cover.

If the air filter or intake stack is restricted oil can be sucked backwards into the tube between the air cleaner and carburetor.

POSSIBLY that's what you've read about?

Your three mounting bolt do thread into the front timing gear housing. Just permatex the threads to seal out oil.. And yes; the vent-pump can get worn and start pumping engine oil into the intake manifold with the air?? The last 4020 did not have a vent pump..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back