4650 Trans issues

OK gents yesterday wasn't good.. SV recommended I post here...

this is a partial copy of the email i sent him..

I got done disking at home atleast... going down the field 10th gr at 6.3mph doing good and all of a sudden im losing speed.. 5.2--4.8 engine speed stays the same... it does that for maybe 100 yrd and then picks back up speed to 6.3... WTH?? get turned around and head the other way, It does it again... no warning lights on, no gauges out of place. So i go find my pressure gauges and hoses and IT manual.. Hook to the Control pressure test port on the Clutch valve housing, 180 psi 2000rpm . Go back to disking. control pressure is in spec..I keep disking and watching the gauge, it does it again, control pressure still in spec. Crap now what. 7-8 shift is little harsh. (always has been) 3 point working fine, remotes working fine.. finish disking unhook and head to the shop. hmmm 11-12 shift is way slow..12-13-14-15 are sluggish.. Head to the shop, stop and wash off what I can and Clean a spot in the shop, back her in put the front on blocks. Find a big drain pan and some 5 gal buckets.. Pull the plug for the front housing... nice clean HOT oil.. go to the back pull the plug.. over shoot the friggen drain pan (the draw bar is in the way) so i find a deflector to get it in the pan... once again hot but clean oil.. (well atleast no big chunks and it doesnt look like mercury).. at this point im flustered so she sits in the shop front end up on blocks with the plugs out....

i have a new set of filters and 20 gal of hygard for her.. ill pull the suction line and check/ clean the screen.. If there is much debris, ill pull the PTO shaft and look thru there and see if i can see anything in the bottom of the sump...

This tractor has pulled my big baler all summer for the last 4 years and it pulls the Feed Box all Winter..

Got to have her back healthy before I have to start feeding cattle again.

The pto brake has worked off and on as long as ive had it..

Any ideas ive read about an orfice under a elbow on the front of the control valve that can get plugged and cause issues??

have i lost an accumulator??

Thanks in advance

this place is full of so much info it can be scary..

OH shes an 83 model with the ZF front end..

Do what you are planning than hook up a lube gauge put in toe and run rpm up to get at least 10 psi of lude then shift through the gears and write down both pressures in each gear. Then go drive it hit the brakes in each gear and see if it slips.

Well I got home from work with a little daylight left.. got the chores done before dark and headed to the shop.. pulled the filters, the oil that came out of the filter housings looked decent.. I pulled the suction line and screen. Screen had a couple of small chunks of what looks and feels like brake lining (brake or pto brake) but its a long ways from being plugged.. I kinda figured that... If the screen was plugged I would think the control pressure would of been low. Cleaned the screen, reinstalled it, cleaned the filter cans put new filters in it and replaced the drain plugs..

tomorrow i should have the new hose for my pressure gauge.. when i get home ill put the 20 gal of hygard in her, plumb the gauges into the cab and started the next step in the test procedure

cvphoto102561.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back