52 ford 8N valve seat replacement

TJ in KY

I am trying to bring a non running Ford '52 8N back to life. I don't know much history about it, except the engine was not frozen. Failed compression test on 1 and 2. Both exhaust valves were frozen open. Number 2 seat is in bad shape (rusty).

Is that something I can replace myself or does it need to go to a machine shop? I have a Neway valve seat cutter, and have tried to reface it, but I think it is too far gone. I am afraid to cut it much more (don't know how deep I can go) I wanted to try to get it running and check out hydraulics, transmission etc before I spend too much on it.
If it is something I can do, how do I get the old seat out. Will the new one be the right O.D. or will it or the block require machining.
I have rebuilt 2 Ford flathead tractor engines in the past, But never had to replace a valve seat.

TJ,You say,If it is something I can do, how do I get the old seat out.
You use a Oxy acetylene torch with a small or medium welding tip.Heat one small area of the seat red hot,then cool it quickly with a water soaked rag.Then heat 180 across red hot,and cool with soaked rag,The seat will pop right out.Cool the new seat in a cup of crushed ice say 10 minutes,then just tap it in till it bottoms out.
Then you can cut the seat with the Neway valve seat cutter.Once cut seat the valve with some compound.

I think its in the FO-4 repair manual... I spot weld them in three places and pop them out... Its nice to have a driver to to drive them I farmerized one for the first few I did the only problem is its EZ to crack a new seat unless it fits it well...

Make damm sure it has seats factory replacement engines did not... BTDT....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back