6 volt battery

I have rewired my 8n, install new regulator, coil, points etc. plugs n plug wires. I did not change the generator but I did have it checked and was told it is ok. I have a new battery that is 1 month old. I checked the battery with my multimeter and it shows 6.39 volts than I used a hydrometer and it basically shows nothing [balls don't float] I put it on a charger and it says internal short. Is the battery any good? How do I charge a 6 volt battery off the tractor? Thanks

No idea how your charger is designed.

Take your battery to Wal Mart (yes, Wal Mart) for a proper charge and diagnosis prior to buying a new one.

SDT

When the specific Gravity is so low there is no reading on the hydrometer.......

It's your $$$$'s.....any battery I've ever had a Specific Gravity reading so low there is no reading.....the battery was always Garbage.......

Bo..

I think Dean is correct but the only change I would make is to take it back to where you bought it one month ago and make them deal with it, as you might still be covered for free replacement. Im puzzled by all these conflicting readings from your test instruments, I guess what I would do bypass everything with a set of jumper cables right to the starter from the battery and see what it does. A poor mans load test, you might say. Then if nothing happens then I think the battery might be shot , if you are certain the starter is serviceable.

I don't know what kind of battery you have,but I've had really good luck with Deka batteries. One lasted 16 years,just now bought another one,was cheaper than Walmart,who didn't even have 6v.

Thanks for all the comments. This is the 2nd battery [Superstart heavy and fleet] that I purchased. The first at TSC. It showed the same thing, they checked it and agreed with the internal fault but did not have another battery so they refunded my money. I went to O'Reilly's and bought the same battery. This afternoon I took it back to them. They put it on an analyzer and charged it. That is not what my analyzer and charger said no the hydrometer. They said the battery is fine. I haven't reinstalled it yet so I guess we will see.

(quoted from post at 16:44:36 05/18/21) Thanks for all the comments. This is the 2nd battery [Superstart heavy and fleet] that I purchased. The first at TSC. It showed the same thing, they checked it and agreed with the internal fault but did not have another battery so they refunded my money. I went to O'Reilly's and bought the same battery. This afternoon I took it back to them. They put it on an analyzer and charged it. That is not what my analyzer and charger said no the hydrometer. They said the battery is fine. I haven't reinstalled it yet so I guess we will see.
heck the battery voltage before you start it and when running!

" I have rewired my 8n, install new regulator " did you polarize the system after installing the new voltage regulator before starting the engine ??

Be advised that common conductance testers as found most places, including auto parts stores, are notorious for false goods.

If you want a reliable test, take it to Wal Mart.

Dean

I would be checking my hydrometer, multimeter, and charger on a known good battery and go from there.

Having been through this, I would be suspicious of the new voltage regulator. Let us know how the battery holds up not connected and then connected.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back