706/806 development ??

(quoted from post at 07:14:55 11/14/23) The 4010 was not out in 1959. ** Only way that it could have been late 1959, is if it was a prototype set up for some heavy duty/high hour testing. And if that was true (and it could have been) there's no way it had a "4010" decal on it. And quite possibly the sheet metal wasn't what we know as a 4010 either. They had to do testing for sure, but under the cloak of secrecy.

Yea it was , sure got the neighbors talking . lots of lookers and they were at the big local fair . I was 13 at the time . Seams that a lot of firsts happened during that County Fair being it is larger then the Ohio State fair and for years a vary large ag display of all colors . . From Fair to Farm , people came from all over to that fair . at one time around here ya were no more then ten miles from a dealer of any color . Here where i live we had two dealers in town not A block apart , five miles east were two dealers just across the road from each other and two miles north of them was another dealer , Two miles from the center of town was another dealer to the west 7 miles was a dealer , 7 miles south was a dealer they were everywhere . yes Paul had his 4010 for harvest that year . That past spring was when the new 460 arrived at my uncles and the Fall before was when the 560 arrived just before harvest . I would help with tater harvest every year from the time i could reach the clutch pedal on the O C 3 and that would have been 1952 .

IIRC....IH had these in development in 1959.

The 706-806 were NOT rushed...IH took its time to get it right with its first clean sheet tractor in over 2 decades....

Nearly all of the testing was done in the Southwest due to its remoteness. I'm not saying it is completely impossible for a 4010
to have gone elsewhere for testing but it would be quite rare. A dealer and farmer would have to have a high degree of trust in
the eyes of JD. Going back to the Model A JD used remote locations for nearly all of its testing. Having previous series sheet
metal was a common practice to keep curiosity to a minimum so I would imagine that any 4010 did not go out in its final form for an
independent test.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back