720 Crank Seal/Powershaf drive gear removal/replace?

So has anyone pulled the powershaft drive gear to replace the seal behind it. (The gear on the crank where the red arrow is pointing)? My gear puller wont reach that far from the end of the crank so I may have
to modify it. I cant remember if this gear comes off relatively easy with regular gear puller actions or if anything special is involved so I thought I would ask on here. Also is removing that seal easy enough
to do with a standard seal puller and installation as simple as knocking in a new one? I dont want to have to pull the crank as I understand the main bearings for the 720 are no longer availible?
cvphoto129325.jpg

Never did a 720, but a few others. That gear is tight, need a heavy puller, think I used a little heat to get it to move.

My puller was to short so I used some chain links to make it longer to get mine off. Heat was needed. Seal was no big deal after that.

Fred, I made a gadget to grasp the PTO gear on my 630. Also - does your 720 have those little o-rings between the main case and the main bearing housing like shown in the third picture of my 630? Folks say that those rings can swell up and restrict the oil supply to the main bearing and the right connecting rod. Once you get the PTO gear off of the crankshaft, you're mighty close to being able to check/replace those o-rings - that is, if the 720 even has them.
cvphoto129354.jpg

cvphoto129355.jpg

cvphoto129358.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back