Fan shaft gear. How to remove it.

46chief

I need to replace my fan shaft gear but I cannot get the old one off . The back of the gear is slanted so my gear puller will not hold to it. I have removed the snapp ring but that is as far as I have got. This is an old model B john deere.

Last edited:
I need to replace my fan shaft gear but I cannot get the old one off . The back of the gear is slanted so my gear puller will not hold to it. I have removed the snapp ring but that is as far as I have got. This is an old model B john deere.
A bearing puller will get ahold of it.

I did that on my A last year. Got an HF bearing separator kit. It was still a tough job. The separator may be able to get the bearing race off first which would help. I used a propane torch to heat it some which helped. Even with the separator loaded I still have to drive on the back side of the gear with a punch and hammer and did a little damage to the edges by the teeth. If you have a new gear why not just cut into the old one and split it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back