720D pony motor water pump

jimsmt

New User
I am attempting to remove the water pump from a 720D pony motor. I have the bolts out and the water pump cover and cooling pipe off but I can not get the pump off due to the pipe between the pump and the block. I have rotated the pipe so it is loose from the o-rings and pushed it up into the block as far as possible. I rotated the pump so I can see the end of the pipe but there is still too much interference to get the pump out. Any suggestions?

I have only been able to remove the water pump on a pony, with the pony off the tractor and setting on the work bench. Usually a lot of corrosion
around the short pipe between the pump and block. If I recall correctly, turn the pump counter clockwise, and pull away from the block, and there is not much room with the pony installed on the tractor.

Thanks for the reply. I have the pony off the tractor and got the pump removed. I found the trick to remove the water pump was to pull out on the bottom of the pump until the boss on the pump cleared the block so the pump could drop down. Doing that made it easy. Now I have to figure out how to disassemble the pump and get a seal and gaskets. The pony is getting water in the crankcase so hopefully a seal corrects the problem.

Jimsmt,

Did you find a seal kit for the Pony water pump? I am having the exact same issue. I need the two seals (AF2460R & AF2057R) and am having zero luck finding a place that sells them.
Thanks,
Pat in Montana

Pat,
I ordered the seals from the local John Deere dealer.
I ordered the shim gaskets from H&J Machining in ND which are also available from Deere at twice the price. 701-652-3289 They have a catalog online but your have to order by phone. I think he also has the seals which are cheaper than Deere.
I have a friend who is machining the impeller in the corroded seal contact area, see attached photo.
Jim

Attachments

• 1716669929401.png
    1716669929401.png
    759 KB · Views: 19
Pat,
I ordered the seals from the local John Deere dealer.
I ordered the shim gaskets from H&J Machining in ND which are also available from Deere at twice the price. 701-652-3289 They have a catalog online but your have to order by phone. I think he also has the seals which are cheaper than Deere.
I have a friend who is machining the impeller in the corroded seal contact area, see attached photo.
Jim
After you get things back together, you will need to double check the mesh pattern of the water and oil pump gears. I never got too technical with it and used a piece of paper that matched the clearance the book says and got it between the gears, if it didn't quite rip the paper I called it good.

Thanks for the info! I got a hold of H&J this morning and got seals and shims ordered. Funny thing is that the 70 has been sitting outside by my shop since Saturday when I put the water pump cover and new gasket on and the leak out the weep hole stopped on it's own. Not sure why, but am thinking it might have just been sitting too long and a seal dried out. ?? I'm going to drain the oil(s) in both engines this week and put in fresh and start it up and see if I have a leak or not. I guess if I do, I will have parts to fix it here in a few days. I'm going to keep that H&J Machine number handy in case something else breaks.
Pat in Montana

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back