756 Gear And Oil Pan

Bill VA

Turning cold here. Down to about 15-17ish yesterday morning. Had a chance to tinker with the 756 gasser. Pulled the choke, hit the start button and it fired off like a champ. I'm liking this gas and colder weather combo....

I'd like to put my 3pt carry-all on it and haul out some firewood with the tractor. Still very much in the learning curve with this tractor. We've got a couple of roads on the place that are somewhat steep. Steep enough I'd never pull a wagon full of hay behind this or any other tractor we've got.

I've read much about Allis Chalmers WD45's popping out of gear on a down hill run.

Question is - how is the 756 when it comes to popping out of gear when being pushed down hill? This 756 has a factory TA delete, so that isn't a consideration/problem. Brakes seem to be OK - just don't want to go there....

Also, about 3 inches up from the bottom of the oil pan is a petcock on the RH side of it. I'm assuming this was a previous owner addition and its purpose is to give an indication as to when enough oil has been added vs tinkering with the dipstick? Why would someone otherwise add a petcock to the side of the oil pan? A friend of mine said he had seen this on some older Farmalls.

Thanks!

Bill
a245080.jpg

I am no expert, but I don't think IH's of that style had any jumping out of gear problems. I have had several. Starting in the early 70's with a 706. I now have a 766 and a 886. The 756 should be a really good dependable tractor. The only tractor that I like as well as my 766 may be my 4020. They are both good handy tractors. Probably the last two I would sell.

No idea on the petcock, it seems redundant to the dip stick. They are not prone to jumping out of gear. and if it did, the brakes would be usable. Make sure the pedals are adjusted evenly so that locking them together applies equally to both wheels. Jim

I have a 756 with near 14,000 hours on it. It is used more than any other tractor on the farm. It will on occasion jump out of 3rd gear low range when going down a slope with haybine or round baler behind it. The reason it jumps out of gear is that the parts, circled in red in picture of parts diagram, are worn due to A LOT of shifting in this tractor's life. It was the only big tractor we had for a lot of years plus it had a loader on it so that meant much shifting. I have replaced the detent rollers a couple of times in past when they have broken. Shifting gets noticeably more loose when a roller breaks and while shifting you can not feel the gears "snap" into place if a roller is broken and missing.
The rollers ( part # 3) work in the notches in parts 4 and 6. The "teeth", forming the notches, wear down also and when really worn, makes shifting not "tight and snappy" like a new tractor was.
I have all the new parts circled in the diagram and will get them installed this winter. It is not a difficult job at all. The parts are available from aftermarket sources at reasonable prices.
a245148.jpg

I really appreciate the diagram and info - like you say, it doesn't look like a hard fix. My shifting is not snappy and crisp, but there are detent stops in 1-4 that you can feel, just not factory new. I'll definitely keep my eye on it and maybe add new detents to the bucket list.

A pair of pitcocks were on our JD mod A, one a little lower than the other, for checking/filling the oil. I believe the owners manual for my 450 talks about them on the oil pan for the distillate motor, but on your 756 it is a little confusing. Maybe some farmer a while back thought it was a good idea, who knows why.

Bill, I need to clarify about my tractor jumping out of gear. It is the Low and High shift lever that jumps out of position when going down hill. The 1,2,3 and 4 speed lever has never moved. The only time I have experienced jump out of gear was when mowing or baling and would be going down hill with the haybine or round baler and only on a fairly steep grade. The #4 part is the High & Low operating arm. It is the one that I am certain has worn teeth and most likely a missing detent roller. Detent rollers that have gone missing in the past break into two pieces and drop into the transmission housing. Some times they are found when hyd. filter is changed. Spring #18 can break and cause lack of tightness and "snap" in shifting also. I have changed out rollers a couple of times and a spring once I think. I built up the teeth on # 4 part with weld a bunch of years ago. This time I have a new one to go in.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back