841 - Next Challenge - Replacing the Cam Follower Pin

Ok - so I got some issues resolved on the hydraulics. I'd prevoiusly thought the 3 point was hardly used. Wrong again. Cam follower pin about 3/4 worn through. How is this replaced? I've gotten linkage apart in the cover, but I believe I need to get the control rod out through the fill hole? I removed the nut from the control rod on the outside, but the rod won't move. Is it just rusted, or is there something hidden in order to remove it so I can get the part the cam follower pin is on out to be able replace it. Am I approaching this correctly?

It is likely corrosion seized.

Use heat and patience. Do not use a puller.

FWIW: One can change the cam follower pin (with care) without disassembling the linkage.

Unclear from your information: You have removed the lift cover??? You MUST remove the lift cover to replace the cam follower pin.

Dean

Yeah, I do have the lift cover off. Good info - thought I'd need patience...and some heat.

I assume that the pin is pressed in? Any idea of the p/n from CNH?

Thanks much!

3740725 (or 3740720S (cannot tell)), unless the part number has changed in the past 15 years or so.

Most CNH dealers will no longer have this in stock so be prepared to have them order it.

Dean

New Holland number is.3740725. Original Ford number is 73298-S, a 5/16 by 7/8 dowel pin. Have a sack full of them. Need your address, and will send a couple. Email is open

I have repaired two this way; using my mig welder I simply filled the gap and one looked so good that no filing was required. Slow the wire feed a bit and use about four blasts.

This method worked for me after trying to remove using heat with no luck. The next one I never hesitated before welding it up.

Good Luck!
-Joel

I wedged a piece of wood in the top cover
beside the pin. Then used a small air
hammer to push old one out. Easy.
Adjusting everything was a booger, but
what a difference!! Dennis Carpenter
sells the pins. And gasket - O ring sets.
I stuck some wood dowels in 6 bolt holes
on tractor to line up top cover going
back on. Kept gasket in line.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back