856 pto driven gear removal

pkmn

New User
856 farmall the 56 tooth which drives mvc pump and is driven on top by pto shaft in back of clutch housing , how do I remove and replace? can it be done though lower cover? I have it split at the clutch housing does it require more splitting

Have to split at the rear also. While splitting you have to keep wiggling the gear on the shaft as it will bind as you are splitting the tranny from the rear end. Kind of unusual for that gear to be bad, what is the issue?? Before going back together with new gasket and suction oring, put a rubber band around the pilot bearing on the pinion shaft. Will hold the lower rollers up and keep them from catching while going together. After together set the pre load on the new gear and bearing. Use two bolts and tighten down cap while turning the shaft to 100 inch pounds back off the bolts and then retighten to 50 inch pounds and insert feeler gauge between cap and housing to measure for shim pack and add 10 thousandths. Use regular bolts when doing the preload because the bolts that hold the cap have a plastic insert to keep oil from following threads and leaking oil. They can give you a wrong reading in inch pounds. While split, check the large nut on the rear of the counter shaft and make sure its tight, they loose sometimes. Hope this all makes sense.

The wrong pto shaft was installed and run a few minutes and was to much clatter so split it again to find a tooth knocked off that gear thought I would change it out if it was easy but maybe I will try run it as is ,it seems to roll smoothly over the broken tooth with the correct pto shaft. Also my steering is constantly needing prime after sitting, is there a fix for that since i already have it opened up?

Typical fix for that is 5 gallon over full. on oil. Though it has not worked well for me over the years . Mine will loose prime when it sets like over the winter in the shed unused. Most times it will be fine once in use for the year. I have not really found a fix for the prime problem except changing the pump on the back of the MCV and then it works fine for several years. My 806 and 856 have a setting problem with this. I'm going to change the filter and oil this summer and see what happens. The 806 has been here for many years and the 856 for not as long with some issues with steering over those years. It has had one new pump about 10 years ago or more now. Our 1466 will act up after setting all winter and then is fine for the year also. All 3 have the same set up on the steering basically other than the steering cylinder on the 1466.

The wrong pto shaft was installed and run a few minutes and was to much clatter so split it again to find a tooth knocked off that gear thought I would change it out if it was easy but maybe I will try run it as is ,it seems to roll smoothly over the broken tooth with the correct pto shaft. Also my steering is constantly needing prime after sitting, is there a fix for that since i already have it opened up?
If you use the PTO on medium to heavy loads, or start equipment with inertia, it could self destruct rapidly. Your call. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back