8N '51 firing problem

jmczzz

I used my '51 8N for a couple of hours to pull some small logs out of my woods. The 8N was doing fine but stated to miss and die down and would not stay running. I checked fuel and it is there at carb bowl drain. so i checked the spark and it seemed to have some at time then not. I opened side mount dist and see the points spring looks sprung out. I had a ignition kit on hend so put the new points, condiser, rotor, dist cap in. but still no crank and no spark. I have been using an old 12 volt bat to crank and run it so hope I haven't overloaded something. I double checked my work in the manuel i got from Y.T. And i believe i did the points ect correctly. but i still do not get spark at plug wire. did i burn up the coil or something using the 12V battery? How can i test the coil to see if it is ok. Or give me some pointers on what to do next please. thanks jim

12v will not damage 6v coil unless ign power is left on & points closed, engine stalled for some period of time. It will run fine, undamaged.

I WAS ABLE TO GET A BLADE TYPE POINT GAP GAUGE. HOWEVER THR VOLTAGE STEP DOWN RESISTER was not available in either of the auto parts stores. And had to be ordered to be picked up after 1300 tomorrow.
I am very apreciative of all the advice and information i recieved on the forumn. Thank you to all, Jim

(quoted from post at 13:54:00 11/06/20) I WAS ABLE TO GET A BLADE TYPE POINT GAP GAUGE. HOWEVER THR VOLTAGE STEP DOWN RESISTER was not available in either of the auto parts stores. And had to be ordered to be picked up after 1300 tomorrow.
I am very apreciative of all the advice and information i recieved on the forumn. Thank you to all, Jim
f you don't have a spark with no resistor, I can say for sure that adding the 1.5 Ohms of a VR-1 resistor will NOT help produce a spark! But, Bruce already told you that.

JMC,
I am certain you are a wise and competent tractor guy - but ...

I am a firm advocate of checking the little, obvious things first - and so a simple thought --- check every wire connection, soup to nuts. Somewhere, at the most unexpected spot a connection could be intermittent, causing poor or no spark. I would start at the battery and go along the hot side all the way and then return back, through ground back to the battery. Once checked all of that can be eliminated.

Just a simple thing that a Newbie would say ------ and so I have fulfilled my duty as the certified newbie here. - Joe -

i assumed the point of the resistor was to step down the 12 voltd to 6 volts so as not to burn the points?

(quoted from post at 15:48:32 11/06/20) i assumed the point of the resistor was to step down the 12 voltd to 6 volts so as not to burn the points?
No the points don't care, If you went completely to 12 volts, you would use the same points. It is to protect the coil if the switch is left on and the points happen to be closed.

" THR VOLTAGE STEP DOWN RESISTER was not available"

Both JMOR and I have advised you that you do not need the resistor at this point. Why are you installing it?

You have yet to answer my question: Are you setting the points on the high side of the cam?
75 Tips

a man from MO told me the resistor would keep the points from being hurt by the 12 volt battery i am using.
I am trying to set points with the cam on a high point. however it is tricky to get the cam in that postiion. when i bump the starter with the key off and stop it on a high spot it seems to slip down hill when i end the starter bump. I confess i have not adjusted the points with the cam on exactly the highest tip of the distributor cam. the closeat i have been able to get it is a couple of 1/100 on the down hill side of the cam. Is there a better way to acomlish this "get it on the highest point"? cause it seems to move down hill by itself cause the shaft turns a bit letting it do that. does the loose shaft mean the distributor has a hold problem? like to loose? worn shaft drive gear? etc? i apoligize for not ansewing your question straight off but i got focused on getting a blade gauge first.
thanks jim

Ask the man from MO how 12v can burn points when points are not sold by voltage. No such thing as 6v or 12v points. Points and condensers in these tractors operate just fine on 6 or 12 volts. If they did not, there would be separate part numbers for points and condensers based upon ignition voltage.

The resistor is to reduce current to the COIL, not the points.

Do not waste your time and money on that resistor.

For later.....not now....measure the resistance of the coil. If it's less than 3.25 ohms, go to NAPA and get p/n IC14SB. That's a real 12v coil, no resistor.

But you do not need to do that now.

Pull up in the fan belt to get tension on it, then turn the fan. Watch the distributor cam move. If you can't get it to move, take the plugs out.
75 Tips

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back