A out of storage - electronic ignition on

bighornJD

Long winded warning!
Well I finally got the ole' 47 A out and have done some work on it the last few days to get it running. I rebuilt the engine several years ago and hardly ran it and then it ended up sitting in storage for about 3 yrs without running. During that time I stopped by periodically to give a dose of WD-40 in the plug holes and roll her over a few times. Last summer i was finally able to get it out and got her running but again only ran it up and down the road a few times and pulled with it once then it sat all winter. I had some free time the last several days and decided to breath some life into her. A friend has a farm not far and offered to let me bring it over to do some plowing and culti-mulching. I drained what little old gas was in her and cleaned the sediment bowl and screen. Filled with fresh gas and flushed out the line and carb bowl. Installed the new electronic ignition and hot coil i bought last year along with new high-quality plug wires and a new set of Autolite 3116s that i'm running a .045" gap on. It was bored .090" with high comp aluminum pistons when rebuilt. I set the initial timing and she fired right up. Dialed it in a little better with a light and it runs better than ever. I know the electronic ignitions are not well embraced by a lot on this site but so far I can see a lot of improvement. We'll see what the long term holds in store. It idles much smoother and never misses a beat. Before it would seem there was a miss every once in awhile but not any more. I had problems with it eating points before which prompted the ignition purchase. The points failures were likely due to not being ran much and corroding but i also seemed to have trouble keeping them gapped right which i don't think helped much. I think the cam lobes on my distributor shaft are worn some. None of this can be blamed on the points setup itself however all these problems are now eliminated. It snaps a heck of a spark across a .045 gap vs the stock .030 - i think I could go more but don't see the point in pushing it. I got her greased and oiled up and now want to change the engine oil and filter and replace the fluids in the tranny and Powr-trol. Then I can take her out and put her to work and have some fun!l

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back