A Story I wouldn't have believed

Keith Molden

Night before last I couldn't sleep so I got up and was watching the news. The weather guesser said we were having an meteor shower so I went out on the front porch to check if I could see anything. I left the door open while I was out there and the storm door is always a little slow to close but no problem right-wrong. I came back in and sat down in my recliner. In a few minutes I heard what I figured was a mouse (it's getting to be that time of year) and I made up my mind I was gonna get him so I went in the kitchen and got a flashlight. The sound was coming from behind my P.A. system cases that I keep there in the corner. Looking behind them was a possum looking up at me. I went in and woke my wife up cause I knew if I waited till morning to tell her she would swear my pain meds was making me hallucinate. I didn't want to shoot it in the house and I didn't want to get bit so I had a brain storm. Went out to the garage and got a piece of small rope, made a loop and dropped it over his head when he looked up and hissed at me. I carried him out in the yard then the fun began getting the rope off without getting bit (I've done good so far) My grandson in law gave me his pocket knife and that little feller was so scared he just sat there and let me loosen the rope and slip it off his head. That is the first time and hopefully the last that I'll ever wrangle a possum. Honestly that happened and I don't think anybody could make up a story like this. We had a good laugh about it and the wife is still contemplating on having me committed. She thinks about it every time I come home with another tractor but I think I slid by this time too.

I believe you. I had the same thing happen once upon a time, only I went back in and found Mr. Blacksnake on the living room floor. You are lucky it was only a possum. If Mr. Raccoon was in your house, he may have taken issue with you trying to put that noose around his neck!

Good one. Glad you had a witness.

Many years ago I came in from feeding the horses in the dark before work. I came in the house with the family's black kitten. All was fine until I saw the family's black kitten laying in the middle of the kitchen floor. I looked between my legs and found a baby skunk. We proceeded to walk nice and slow out the back door. The little critter followed me out to the hay barn. No witnesses, the family thought I was crazy.

That will sure ruin a good nights sleep. Possums have a bad life. They are so ugly, and look like a large rat. People kill them. I have a young one around my place, probably more. I noticed it in my chicken pen. I am afraid to put out poison, for fear the possum will eat it. Need a way to get rid of rats, and not the possum. Stan

I remember as a kid in the fifties an older man dad knew would catch possums put them in a cage feed them corn and water for a week or so then kill them and eat them said the water and corn cleaned them out i saw one in the pan he cooked it in looked like a big glob of fat no way i could eat something like that.

Went to a place in the upper part of the county years ago to buy a piece of sawmill equipment.
Old guy told us that when he woke up that morning, he put his hand above his head on the pillow and felt something furry.
A possum had torn a hole in the screen door and climbed up and went to sleep on his pillow.
We believed him when he showed us the hole in the screen.
Richard in NW SC

We had a guy at work that was watching TV and saw a possum run across the floor. He had pulled out a clothes dryer and too lazy to cover the dryer vent hole so easy entry for small critters. Old Mike being not too self motivated gets the 22 rifle and goes back to watching his favorite program. Shortly the possum comes back across the living room, right past the TV. Here, Mike takes a shot with the rifle and direct hit, one dead possum. Wife comes running in to see what the noise was. Mike points to the possum and has the nerve to tell HER to throw it outside.

He told this at work the next day. It was county fair week so I saw Mike and his wife at the fair horse show so I asked her if they had any excitement lately out their way. She confirmed the story and was ready to shoot him too.

Great story!

I remember when I was probably about 6, my dad brought home a baby possum.

I could hold out my finger, he would wrap his tail around and I could carry him around!

He stayed in a box when I wasn't playing with him, became quite a pet.

Then one day I came home from school, he was on the front steps, wanting back in!

Seems mom had had enough, had turned him loose, but he didn't "run away" as planned.

I was quite upset, but alas, the next day he did run away, this time for good...

When I worked for an insurance company our VP of Underwriting told me once that when he was 10 or 12 years old he stayed with his aunt and uncle on a farm occasionally. He didn't say why, but he said he always enjoyed it because it was so interesting.

They were watching TV one evening when his aunt yelled, "There goes a mouse!"

His uncle simply pulled a .22 revolver out of his pocket, splattered the mouse on the baseboard, stuck the revolver back in his pocket, and turned back to the TV.

Had one get up in the attic one time. Could hear it trying to get out one of the soffit vents. When I had the 22 ready I let him have it but just winged him. Thought oh c--p now he will die up there and stink the place up. But he came back later. This time I tore the vent down so he could get out. He managed to wiggle out and slide down a downspout to the deck rail and sat there-till he got another 22 round in him anyway. Stinky things.

(quoted from post at 23:35:10 08/13/20) Opossum eat ticks and dont get rabies. They're ugly but good to have around. Glad you saved it.
They absolutely CAN get rabies, and they don't eat very many ticks. That was internet folklore started a few years ago.

An old cowboy I work with told me that he and some other ranch hands wanted to play a joke on another friend. They caught a badger and set it loose in his house when he was away. When he got home he went to use the bathroom and had quite a suprise when it was hiding behind the toilet!

Good shooting "DEAD EYE"---Tee
cvphoto53188.jpg
Mel

old 2 story house i once owned had mice in attic. Mrs 730 had a runt puddle dog( Zoey) that very good at catching them.
one night i had to go to bathroom on the way i stepped on something cold wet and furry Zoey had killed a mouse and left it lay on bedroom floor I almost didn't need to contain trip to bathroom.
Mrs 730 thought it was funny darn woman

That was internet folklore started a few years ago.

You need to call the CDC and inform them of this
folklore fact.

Yes a opossum can get rabies but it is very very
rare. Same thing with a squirrel.

70% of the people in the USA that get rabies get it
from a bat.

Every year we get one in the attic that gives birth to a litter. There is usually one or two of them that get in around our water heater. Wife goes berserk and this year she had me shoot one in our living room.

I had beagle hounds penned up out back of the house several years ago. One night the wife wakes me up your dogs are barking go shut them up! Half asleep I go the sliding patio door open it and tell the dogs to dry it up. Problem solved. Back to bed then things get interesting! Almost drifting back to sleep the old elbow again to rouse me up. Dogs barking again and I heard a cat she said. Dogs barking at a dang cat! So back to the door and I hear the dang cat. My plan is to open patio door,flip on the light scare the cat crap out of the cat. So in my underwear reach for the door and switch, have to have perfect timing for this to work right, just as I grab the door handle that dang cat sticks it's nose to the back of my naked leg! When I hit the ground I was 8 ft from the light switch. Finally found the switch and a half grown kitten was behind me. Did I mention the part about perfect timing? And the part about scaring the crap out somebody! Out the door the cat goes dry it up to the dogs again and problem solved. Back to bed. Wait it gets better! The wife has to know what the commotion was. Dummy me told her the truth. Should been the end of it but nooooo! We had an infant in the house sound asleep along with his older brother. Well the wife springs out of the bed bedroom light comes on " Get out of the bed and make dang sure there is not another cat in the house. You know a cat will smell milk on a baby and stick it head down throat and smother him!" Needless to say after a thorough search of the entire house no more cats. Dang cats and old wives tales.

Bats. Until I plugged up a hole in a soffit, we had bats flying around inside the house. Kids would sit there and watch them zip around the living room until I got the fishing net. Fixed that problem pretty quick.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back