Back up for my 8n

I have had my 8N since 1964. I've ran many 600s and 800s over the years and always wanted a 600 series tractor. They are nimble and have so many features over the Ns. I was at a sale Saturday and bought a 1959 641 for $1700.00. The good things about it are, the motor sounds good with good oil pressure 50#s cold, the tin and grille are very straight, front tires are good, the dash guages all seem to work and look good, it's an original 12 volt. The bad things, the rear tires are bad but up and the lift is slow and a little jerky. The paint is about average, with the center of the hood and the late style grill is red. It looks like the one on John Smith's home page.
I'm pretty happy now until i go to the tire store.:)

Here's my 8N, last painted in 1977. I haven't got a picture of the 641 yet.

ford%25205.jpg

None of the 601/801 tractor where 12 volts unless they where diesels so if your is a gas modal then it has been converted to 12 volts and it is not a factory thing

ditto what old said.

in 59 diesels came out and they were 12v .. all other models prior or to 65 were 6v

soundguy

(quoted from post at 11:41:30 11/28/11) None of the 601/801 tractor where 12 volts unless they where diesels so if your is a gas modal then it has been converted to 12 volts and it is not a factory thing

That had me confused too, but when I checked the serial #s on John Smiths site it came out as a diesel. The #s above the serial # are 641D and the serial # is 72319. The tach drive comes off the back of the hydraulic pump, so the tach works. It's a mystery, but I'm kind of liking it. I got some pictures of it.

DSC03399.jpg

DSC03400.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

So then it is a mutt from what I can see. As in at one time it had a diesel engine but now has a gas so it is one made from 2 or 3 tractors or the diesel engine went bad and some one installed a gas replacement engine. RIGHT???????????

(quoted from post at 16:44:06 11/28/11) So then it is a mutt from what I can see. As in at one time it had a diesel engine but now has a gas so it is one made from 2 or 3 tractors or the diesel engine went bad and some one installed a gas replacement engine. RIGHT???????????

That would be my guess.

Years ago my dad had two 800 series tractors, an 800 and an 861 with live power. He was going to sell one of them, but the 800 had a good strong motor and the 861 had the live power, but a weaker engine. We swapped the rear end from the 861 to the good engined 800.

I think this 641 will be worth cleaning up and spending a little on.

Serial may say 601 but the grill amd paint scheme is 801.
Looks like a real nice tractor.
I like mutts. I have one of the wrongest tractors around.
Oh, and I think you have it just the opposite -
The N will soon become the back up for this one.

Scott(KS),

Regardless of what it is technically. I think it's cool and a good looking machine. I like the 8N too. To me tractors are like guns, can you really have too many? Not in my world.

Got a favor to ask, if you don't mind, would you please post back when you get new rear tires? I am curious to know about what the going price is for the derned things. My guess is you'll double the value, (roughly) of the tractor buying tires for it. I'm just curious as eventually I'll need to get some too. Always nice to know how many pennies I need to save for such as that.

LW, (from Kansas)

Looks good - not sure about the lights though! Is that the usual set up for the exhaust? i would think you would be inhaling fumes all day.
Lee

(quoted from post at 15:25:26 11/29/11) Scott(KS),

Regardless of what it is technically. I think it's cool and a good looking machine. I like the 8N too. To me tractors are like guns, can you really have too many? Not in my world.

Got a favor to ask, if you don't mind, would you please post back when you get new rear tires? I am curious to know about what the going price is for the derned things. My guess is you'll double the value, (roughly) of the tractor buying tires for it. I'm just curious as eventually I'll need to get some too. Always nice to know how many pennies I need to save for such as that.

LW, (from Kansas)

I'll probably wait until I get it cleaned up a little and make sure it's a viable machine. However, I was pricing tires on e-bay (Tucker Tire Co.) and they look to be about $1000.00 a pair for 13.6/28s. I'll probably go with the 12.4/28s, as that's what was original to the tractor. They're not much cheaper.

And about that gun thing, I also have that addiction. :roll: Winchester .22s, S&W revolvers and a few of the other guys.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back