battery/electrical decisions

timsch

I have a Napa commercial 6V battery in the 8N I bought probably 6 years ago for ~$90. The tractor had not been used much over the last few years, but I was working to get it back to good running condition. It would hold a charge @ ~6.2V and it passed load testing. Last night the tractor fired right up and ran well, but after having it die after taking the throttle too low, I tried to restart it but all I heard was a single click @ the starter relay. I load tested the battery again after that, and it failed miserably. I don't know what changed, but it looks like I need a new battery.

The same battery is now ~$250. I see a tractor supply battery here: https://www.external_link.com/tsc/product/traveller-1-6v-heavy-duty-battery?cm_vc=-10005

Should I expect the NAPA battery to be twice as good as this one given that it's twice as much?

Another issue is that I was trying to troubleshoot a no-charging situation. I did re-polarize the generator by shorting BAT & ARM connections at the relay a couple of times, but never did get it to start charging. I don't have another (good) 6V battery to do a bench test and don't know if I have any other options, such as do the motor test per the manual with a 12V battery.

I'd like to know what condition my generator is in before going in on another 6V battery. If I need a generator rebuild, I'd consider going 12V, particularly if I need the ~$250 battery.

Tractor runs fine otherwise.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back