battery operated chain saw

Ya know i felt that way. About oh maybe 30-35 years ago the War Dept bought me for Christmas a Ryobi 12 drill. To keep from a declaration of war and NO PIECE in this house and i am sure you know what i mean on that i smiled and to just show her what kind of JUNK she bought i proceeded to Work the bag off that little Blue Drill doing everything you probably should not do . I can not tell you how many 14x3 inch screws i ran into OLD OAK with it now may 1/2 inch holes i drilled into steel with it Burnt up one charger and had the battery's rebuild at battery's + . Well after all the abuse i put it thru the housing broke , Nothing wrong with the motor or drive or the rebuilt battery's just the case snapped in half ahead of the trigger . Oh and they stopped making battery's for it a long time ago BUt ya could get them rebuilt . Then i bought the H D 12 Volt Rigid , yea i had a little problem with it when the battery's leaked and i had to do battle over the warranty and to calm me down i ended up with the 14 inch Rigid Band saw for a 150 bucks , But i had to take the floor model , yea that 399.95 one . Then the new set of battery's went bad and they don't make them anymore also and another round of deranged Viet Nam vet go around with the store manage i ended up with a new 18 volt drill driver radio set and got to keep the 12 volt and another trip up to battery's Plus it is still going after 30 years. That 12 Volt one will EAT you alive as it had three times the power of the 18 volt one just a bunch heavier . My only complaint is the cost of replacement battery's as they cost more then the stupid tool costs. BUT when no place close to PLUG in and no9t have to lug a generator around and mess with one not starting out in the back 40 they are handy .

I have a Milwaukee saw as all my other batt operated tools are of the same mfgr. Bought June of 2021. Nice saw. Kinda light compared to my gas Stihl.

BUT

after 8 months or so, saw would not occasionally work. Batt = full charged. Different batt, same issue. No rhyme or reason that it would/wouldn't work. Took it to a service center yesterday. 2-8 weeks. It does have a 5 year warrentee.

I posted this not long ago. Tried what some recommended.....
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1612253&highlight=

HTH...Don.

(quoted from post at 04:24:16 04/02/23) I'm glad you guys have better results of use than My dad has his only last about 6 months or less before they start having problems. Last one has been a Milwaukee first the contacts burned from being to loose in the saw then another problem not sure what then now another problem. Sorry I can't get excited about the battery junk. Just cheap sell to the consumer for exorbitant profit junk. Cordless drills just don't stand up either for me. Give me a corded tool. Wish I could get a diesel chain saw would be the best of all worlds.

Tell your dad that he needs to quit leaving them out in his truck bed in the rain, LOL.

Good morning, Steve-Maine and all: Wife got me a small battery chainsaw (Saker brand, I think). It has proven to be very handy when I am picking up limbs that wind has brought down. I can use the little chainsaw to remove small branches quickly so the main limb will fit in my small trailer. It came with two batteries, uses one at a time so I bring the spare along on my tree limb projects. BTW, since I have a pacemaker, I can not use gas chainsaws with their unshielded ignition. Corded stuff is ok, but if I want to get very far from an electric plug-in, the battery saws are my friends!
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I just got a Dewalt 20v like others picture here, Ive cut less than 1 battery full with it so I am hardly a good review source....

But, i was up on the shed roof cutting tree branches with it that sagged down to the roof. Again.

And it was a lot more fun for that than lugging the gas model around up there on the snow covered roof.

Looks like I will like it.

They make a bigger 60v model, and they make that tiny thing someone pictured. Seemed like my gas saws would handle the big stuff, and a pruning shear would handle the little stuff, the 20v seemed the sweet spot for me.

Paul

Paul

I have an 80 volt I got from Menards. It's far lighter than my Echo. I think the bar is the same length as my Echo. I like it, but I can't remember the brand name of the saw.

(quoted from post at 20:10:47 04/01/23) I am looking for a light weight battery operated chain saw. Something that will cut up to 3. I have a couple chain saws that I had in the tree buisness but too heavy for me now. Thanks

Look up Project Farm on youtube. He's done a couple of videos comparing various battery powered chainsaws over the years.

I am looking for a light weight battery operated chain saw. Something that will cut up to 3. I have a couple chain saws that I had in the tree buisness but too heavy for me now. Thanks
I have a 120 volt chain-saw, That I use around our house and barns on 17 acres.

Got an Ryobi 18 inch bar.
Cutting a 12 inch log ,I will get at most ten cuts through before battery is done ,shuts down ,
I don’t recommend it if you have to have a tree to fell that you have to have it with enough juice to drop it completely and safely

Echo 56 volt.
Uses the same bar and chain as their gas 16-18" saws use. So you are not trapped into having to buy special bar and chains to fit it. The one I have has been a good one so far. I carry it when trail riding and in my daily driver during thaw cycles when trees are prone to fall into roadways here.

The battery for them also fits a host of other Echo products such as their lawnmower, trimmer, blower etc.

I have a couple of them now.Have a 20 volt DeWalt,chainsaw,a 20 vold DeWalt chainsaw pruner,and I just got my wife one of the Stihl one handed pruners.I was always the one who said batteries don't belong in chainsaws and gas don't belong in flashlights.They have their place.I won't work up firewood or cut trees down with a battery saw,but I also won't bother taking a gas saw up in the manlift or up a ladder to trim limbs.My friend with a tree service said he wanted to try one to do light one-armed work.He bought a cheezo one,and if he found that it would do the job he would buy a quality one.Next thing I knew he had a half dozen of the 20 volt DeWalts in his trucks.He said they aren't the bottom of the barrel saws,but he doesnt cry as hard when they get dropped.His guys started out dead set against them,but they all changed their tune after a couple of weeks.One of his guys said that when doing fast,light trimming around wires and such he no longer gets worn down.He said that his fatigue at the end of the day when trimming with battery saws is the same as it used to be with a gas saw at lunchtime.They do use real saws for real tree work.They don't cut 6 inch trees up with the little battery saws.

I am looking for a light weight battery operated chain saw. Something that will cut up to 3. I have a couple chain saws that I had in the tree buisness but too heavy for me now. Thanks
I have the echo. I had to get 2 more batteries since I cut lots of wood. AND charging these batteries requires a fan to keep them cool, else the light blink waiting to add charge.

I also have a lite weight corded chainsaw for a mere $29 from Harbor Freight. It's a little beast and very easy to operate and maintain. So when the Echo is charging, the corded one gets the left over work to do.

cvphoto147733.gif

Will someone explain why an old post from April 2023 showed up today?

Because today someone choose to post a reply to it, so it moves to the top. That's the way it works, like many forums work now.
Who wants to read last year's news? I don't!
The other day I saw a post from JD Seller going back 5 years.
After I figured out it was old news, I didn't bother to read it.

Who wants to read last year's news? I don't!
The other day I saw a post from JD Seller going back 5 years.
After I figured out it was old news, I didn't bother to read it.
"Who wants to read last year's news? I don't!"

So, skip the thread. No one says you have to read it. People are still getting familiar with the new format, and such is going to happen. It may be the added post adds value, or it might not. It might have been an oversight and the thread date was overlooked. If you review some of the threads in the Site Comments forum, I think you will find the YT Support group is looking at different methods of minimizing old threads getting accidently activated.

This one seemed to slip past the 30 day mark I thought they set. I must have not understood what they meant. Maybe that was just in tt but this is an example of what catches me too because it’s in the new posts I was reading down without checking the date like a good boy to see if they had a makita posted since mine works good enough to take care of my trees and then saw the posts so between April and yesterday 9 months.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back