Bobcat 853h?

warddog

Been kicking around getting an older skid steer to tinker on the farm with and came across one listed for sale by the owner's son. It is a 1996 Bobcat 853H with tires that have about 200 hours on them. The machine looks used which it should for a 96 with the fluids and filters just changed. The hour meter in the picture shows 196 hours and that has to be a broken or replaced hour meter on such an older machine. I have communicated via e-mail with the son who doesn't seem to know much about it other than he has operated it and said to contact his dad for more info. I have not done so as I'm not familiar at all with a skid steer and wondering what the price on one as this may be? I understand that is a question that can't be definite without knowing the machines actual condition but are there things I should look for specifically IF I go check it out? I'm trying to get some idea of it without having to drive an hour one way to see it without a clue about such. The son states his dad bought a bigger one and is selling this and has it priced from $15000 down to $14000 as of now. Not knowing anything about these skid steers this seems kind of high priced for such an older machine and appears to be higher than a 60 HP tractor of similar age would be.

The one thing I can tell you about used skidsteers is to avoid ones that have been used on a dairy farm. They've been run in silage and manure and are usually packed full, with everything rusting away.

Any evidence the machine has been well greased in all the loader joints. If not, you can assume other areas are not maintained either.

I still have an 853 as a backup machine. If it has the Isuzu engine, it is a very good engine if it was treated well. If it has the bics system, they are problematic. The h means a high flow machine, Good to run bush hogs. How tight are the pins and bushings? This will tell you if it has been maintained well or not. Parts are easy to get. That price in my opinion is way high. That is a 10,000 or less dollar machine.

I am like MTF that price is way out of line for my part of the country, would have to be in real good shape to bring 10 thousand around here more like 8500. The reason is there are just too many old ones around and not that many buyers. Anybody wanting to do anything wants one newer. I have actually seen some decent 853s sell in the 65/75 hundred range this year. Tennessee

Thank you, guys, as NOT knowing anything about them I even suspected this to be a pretty high price. I haven't even spoken with the owner to see about even looking at it, as I wanted to find out IF it was even worth my time. Sounds like it may be priced at about double what it should be, although it seems these things are high here in southeast Kansas where a lot of ranchers use them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back