Bringing J-Series Plow down to two bottom

connor9988

As many of you know, it is pretty cold and miserable outside. I am stuck inside theorizing on new projects for the future...

I found some pictures online of a J-series plow that had been brought down to a 3 bottom. From what I can find in the manuals they were 4-6 bottom semi-mounts with Category 2 drawbars. This one has had a Category 1 put in its place so that it can be pulled with an eagle hitch tractor. Bringing one of these down to 3 seems easy enough but I think with just a little more work a 2 bottom version could be do-able.

Why? It would be a neat project and something unique. I could certainly run a 2 bottom version with both my VAC and 311 (and any other eagle hitch tractor) and it would be easier to load on a trailer.

The tailwheel assembly is modular so it would be easy to move that up to #2 bottom and the same would go for moving the hydraulic lift hardware and the steering pivot point up to accommodate 2 bottoms.

The hard part would be getting the proper tractor/plow spacing when I move the drawbar mast over to between #1 and #2 bottoms.

I don't have a J series plow just kind of thinking out loud...
cvphoto77228.jpg

cvphoto77229.jpg

cvphoto77230.jpg

cvphoto77231.jpg

I would LOVE to have that 3 bottom, I would suggest you looking for a S Series,, you can just unbolt them and remove what you want then cut off the extra beam,, here is my 5 bottom converted to a 4,, I think it would go down to also,, maybe easier than a J Series will,, these are 14" also,, so you might be able to get by with three bottoms,
cvphoto77235.jpg

I had thought about the S series as well. They seem less common though. I DO have pictures of one that somebody did cut down. I tried to get into contact with him about it but nothing ever came from it.

Also, I found flyer for the MA/MTA that says that a semi-mounted conversion bundle was available. I wonder how many of those bundles they actually sold.
cvphoto77244.jpg

cvphoto77245.jpg

cvphoto77246.jpg

cvphoto77247.jpg

cvphoto77248.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back