Bill(Wis)

Does anyone use them anymore? At one time, "Bush Hog" was used to describe just about any brand of rotary cutter. I was wondering who sold them and found that the nearest dealer to me is 47 miles away and that dealer is more of a tractor restoration and repair shop than any kind of dealership. I have New Holland, CaseIH, Kubota, John Deere dealers all around me that sell other lines of equipment such as Land Pride, Woods, etc., but no Bush Hog.

They still make em as well as other equipment.You can visit their website and find nearest dealer.Parts are readily available online.
cvphoto68199.jpg

I bought this twin spindle model had to rebuild main gearbox and pto driveline was no problem getting parts.Think this is a 10-15 year old machine.
Paul

Bush Hog was and still is a brand of rotary mowers and other types of short-line implements. They were usually built s little heavier than some other similar products.

Their mowers inspired a bunch of other mowers, which couldn’t use the term ‘Bush Hog’ since it was a trademark(see ‘Jeep’). So ‘brush hog’ became a substitute term.

Yes, thank you. I've visited their website and like the BH516 but their nearest dealer to me is 47 miles away which I found a little unusual since there are many other brands of mowers sold much closer. And, that nearest dealer is not what I would call any kind of dealership. More a tractor repair shop. It appeared to me that they quite possibly are having a hard time finding a dealer to handle their equipment. I was just wondering if they're in some sort of trouble?

This is one job I routinely do along with roadside cutting (not for hire, my own roadside) cutting out fencelines, etc. Pretty heavy-duty use. this one is 24 years old and has held up well although I originally bought it for use behind a WD Allis Chalmers which was a little underpowered and lightweight. I'm looking at replacing this one, maybe, and started doing some online looking. That's when I realized that Bush Hog wasn't being sold anywhere near me.
cvphoto68201.jpg

cvphoto68202.jpg

cvphoto68203.jpg

cvphoto68204.jpg

There are at least 5 Bush Hog dealers within about 50 miles of me.
Closest is about 8 miles.
Richard in NW SC

Doubtful any trouble with the company, i do know from being a repair shop who sold many things including shortlines Bush Hog wanted a good amount of product bought to start with,, I sold a number of mowers but not what they required then a year,, with those extra products I see now it would not be so hard to make the quota they had then,, may be higher even now, I checked on Woods also seems like both were 25K orders to start up then half that a year but I may be wrong been a number of years

It’s a challenge for short line manufacturers to have a good dealer network. The full line manufacturers push “brand purity” so the dealers are penalized for handling any off brand product that they can get through their major line.

In the future there will be more changes to how things are sold as dealers and manufacturers both consolidate.

Yes, Kubota has purchased Great Plains Mfg which includes the Land Pride line. But, guess who stocks and sells more Land Pride mowers than anyone around me? The local New Holland dealer. The Kubota dealer never seems to have very much stock on hand.

Is that large amount of free play in the top link correct? I set mine up with much less that that to minimize bounce and "droop" whem traveling over humps. I am Always looking to learn better methods>

Glad you asked. That's to allow a good amount of droop when backing over embankments. When I cut roadsides, I really cut. All of the brush, which sometimes requires backing up from the field side and letting the mower droop over down into the ditch. As a matter of fact, in those pictures, there is a drainage ditch just ahead of me where I do that very thing. Please, no jokes about how much "droop" I have. (;>))

They are around here at some dealers. I have a woods that is built pretty well and like it a lot. Might be worth looking into. Most brands offer a lighter duty model as well as a heavier built model.

Bill,
I know a gentleman in south east Florida that has a contract with the state to mow the right-of-ways on the expressways and turnpike and uses only Bush-Hog mowers. I am sure if there was a better mower made that he would be using it.

where I grew up in south central Texas we called any brand of rotary cutter a "shredder". I suppose that came from shredding cotton stalks and maize and corn stubble. later they were used for regular pasture mowing. I have a Servis and a Mustang. I never hear the term Bush Hog till I moved Waco area where there was a distributor/dealer.
cvphoto68210.jpg

(quoted from post at 10:14:29 12/23/20) Does anyone use them anymore? At one time, "Bush Hog" was used to describe just about any brand of rotary cutter. I was wondering who sold them and found that the nearest dealer to me is 47 miles away and that dealer is more of a tractor restoration and repair shop than any kind of dealership. I have New Holland, CaseIH, Kubota, John Deere dealers all around me that sell other lines of equipment such as Land Pride, Woods, etc., but no Bush Hog.

I do custom field mowing in the summers with two model 3008 Bush Hogs...no problem getting parts. Started out with a 6' LandPride, moved up to a Deere MX8, Bush Hog has been the best.
mvphoto67087.jpg

mvphoto67088.jpg

There are Bush Hogs® and there are SOBs (some other brand).
You don't like dealing with SOBs do you?
I didn't think so :)
Thus is a BH® 306 behind my little 3000.
It's about all the tractor will heft but I know I'll never break it.

cvphoto68214.jpg

I call my Woods a rotary mower, and my other mower is a flail mower. I can't remember ever seen a real Bush Hog. Stan

(quoted from post at 10:51:46 12/23/20) Yes, thank you. I've visited their website and like the BH516 but their nearest dealer to me is 47 miles away which I found a little unusual since there are many other brands of mowers sold much closer. And, that nearest dealer is not what I would call any kind of dealership. More a tractor repair shop. It appeared to me that they quite possibly are having a hard time finding a dealer to handle their equipment. I was just wondering if they're in some sort of trouble?

I bought my first one 80 miles away and the second was 380 miles away! I buy blades and wear parts online, Tuttle Motors has been the best place so far

https://www.tuttlemotor.com/

Bush Hog is still around and still considered top tier along with Woods. In my opinion, Land Pride has moved up close to top tier but not quite there.

No problem getting parts parts for any of these.

Bush Hog and Woods dealers are ubiquitous in my area.

Dean

Just go back to your KUBOTA dealer and tell him you want to see the 35 series Land Pride or a 3572 . Right smart heavier in the rear than the one you are pulling there.

Dad would tell me, if he was younger he would buy a new tractor. Fifty years later. If I were younger I might consider a new tractor. Problem with that, at 78 that might not be a such good idea. Plus a new tractor will not do anything my two tractors are doing now. Stan

Even thought Bush Hog is still around and in Selmer Ala. The company was bought by the Alamo group which also owns Rhino and Schulte cutters . All short line manufactures have went up or out. Dean mentioned Land Pride. Land Pride is now owned by Kubota and is moving more and more toward Kubota dealers only. The term Bush Hog is about like coke here in the south . Folks call any rotary cutter a bush hog. They call a lot of soft drinks a coke. At one time Bush Hog purchased Great Bend loader plant in Kansas, I think that is what lent to them getting in tight financial problems. The loader division was eventually sold to a Korean investment group.

I have a Model 502 Bush Hog (tm) behind my '51 8N. Rebuilt the mower when I first inherited it (went with the house purchase, as did the 8N.) Parts were easy to find; called Bush Hog in Selma, and located a local dealer (local meaning 50 miles away - I'm way out in the country). Got necessary parts in a week. Mow pasture with 3' tall grass, as well as 2-3" cedar trees growing around the oak trees. Very well pleased with both the mower and tractor. zuhnc

I have a 6 footer just like that. I used it on the 550 and it handled it good but was light on the front end. I used it on the 1550 and it was a good combo. Worst part about them is cleaning them off when done. All of the steel bracing on top ,makes it hard to clean it off.

(quoted from post at 13:14:29 12/23/20) Does anyone use them anymore? At one time, "Bush Hog" was used to describe just about any brand of rotary cutter. I was wondering who sold them and found that the nearest dealer to me is 47 miles away and that dealer is more of a tractor restoration and repair shop than any kind of dealership. I have New Holland, CaseIH, Kubota, John Deere dealers all around me that sell other lines of equipment such as Land Pride, Woods, etc., but no Bush Hog.
mvphoto67109.jpg

several Bush Hog dealers around Madison

For a few years after I retired, I worked for a small repair shop who is a Bush Hog dealer. There is a lot of difference between the light duty and heavy duty models. In my opinion the light duty are to try to be competitive with the cheap stuff made by other manufacturers. I saw that they changed gearbox and driveshaft makes every few years, and some gearboxes were cheap made. I would only consider a heavy duty model if I was buying one. My main beef against Bush Hog is the blade mounting bolts. Woods has the best blade mount set up in my opinion, hands down.
I own a Woods Cadet 72 that my Dad bought new in 1964, and it has been 'well used' ! The metal at the rear of the deck where the grass discharges is worn away. The deck is now full of stress cracks and just this past year the gear box started leaking. Not bad for 56yrs! Mark.

Our local Case/IH dealer sells Bush Hog brand. I have a 10' pull behind and a front end loader on my Ford 5610 both made by BH. Rugged equipment.

My grip with Bush hog is one modle can have 3 different drive shaft manufacturers. My 2615 legend has the brand that you have to buy a whole kit just to get a slip clutch disk.

My buddy Dick on it.
He loves to mow.
I have this original Ford bumper and weights on it.
I also added a cast iron oil pan from an industrial tractor which weighs about 80 lbs.
Together they keep the front end planted pretty well.
Without the extra weight the tractor would be worthless with that mower on it.

cvphoto68251.jpg

Your dealer is lying to you! I am a Bush Hog dealer, and the disks are available seperately! I sell them by the handful to our highway mowing customers! They won't buy any other brand! Those disks are available aftermarket, as well. Find another dealer.

I had a 5 footer years ago. Pulled it behind an IH 460 bot and attached at the same time. Never made sense to me to have a 5 footer behind a tractor that was around 7 foot wide trying to mow 6' sunflowers and pigweed that was being knocked down by the tractor wheels.

Just got a 6' land pride at an auction. Needs a little welding on the round blade mount underneath. Need to find a tractor with 3 point to pull it.

Been trying to figure out a way to put a hydraulic motor on it to pull behind my 2606 that doesn't have a PTO. Have a new 17gpm cessna pump with a 5gpm piggyback pump on that tractor when I get the engine back together anyway. Then need to get 540 rpm motor plus or minus a little. Places like Surplus center won't help with design.

We have a 6 foot Bush Hog, I thought I was buying the Cadillac of brush cutters, but have been disappointed. My biggest complaint is the stump jumper (blade mount) is oval, not round, so if you get too close to a stump or rock it strikes it. When I had to repair it a couple of years ago I installed some gussets to improve it. The King Kutter we had before had a round stump jumper, was much better design. Although, last summer I backed over a rock as big as a basketball, it came out in 3 pieces and didn't seem to hurt anything. I am careful to keep the slip clutch adjusted properly.
cvphoto68312.jpg

I look them up again and all I see listed is a torque limit kit. If you want a disk you have to get the springs too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back