California driver written test

37 chief

It's about that time for my DMV written test. I am doing some practice tests on my computer. One question I got wrong. If your brake pedal goes to the floor do the following: first choice Put the car in natural, and shut off the motor, Second choice is pump the brakes. Third is push the parking brake. I chose #3, it was wrong. The correct answer is the second choice, pump your brakes. I don't know about you, but when my brake goes to the floor that is the end of my brakes. That happened to my 54 chevy flat bed. All I had was my parking brake, or what was called the emergency brake. what do you think? Stan

In my life time of driving I have lost the brakes four times. In three of the times pumping the pedal did help because there was still some residual fluid still in the system. On the fourth time the linkage to master cylinder broke and there was absolutely nothing. The only thing that saved me was the e-brake and then just barely. In all of these instances the vehicles were older with single cylinder brake systems. I would think that pumping is still the best option especially with vehicles that have dual brake systems.

OTJ

I was taught in the military that if your pedals go to the floor in a jet to pump the brakes, it -might- have enough fluid in it to get you slowed down some. The other option was to hope you had an arresting gear in place else you were going for a ride:-( To your point I did avoid crashing through a gate with a 2 ton truck by using the emergency brake, the old lever type. Mighty glad it worked!

(quoted from post at 19:19:27 05/21/23) It's about that time for my DMV written test. I am doing some practice tests on my computer. One question I got wrong. If your brake pedal goes to the floor do the following: first choice Put the car in natural, and shut off the motor, Second choice is pump the brakes. Third is push the parking brake. I chose #3, it was wrong. The correct answer is the second choice, pump your brakes. I don't know about you, but when my brake goes to the floor that is the end of my brakes. That happened to my 54 chevy flat bed. All I had was my parking brake, or what was called the emergency brake. what do you think? Stan

You're trying to pass a test, not stop your vehicle.

Pumping the brakes pulls more fluid from the reservoir to give you some braking until the reservoir is completely empty, BTDT. Down shifting helps to slow down too. The parking brake only brakes the rear wheels unless you are locked in four wheel drive. The last time I used a parking brake the cables were so rusty they would not release.

You will very seldom lose ALL braking function on any vehicle built after the later sixties or very early 70s when dual master cylinders and braking systems were first required by the government. Part of the braking system will still work even if the other part has developed a leak or other malfunction. Pumping the brakes will usually help with a dual brake system.

Not pertaining to the specific question on your test, but I think the DMV throws in a few basically trick questions within the written test. Sometimes the correct answer (in thier eyes) don't make much more sense than the rest of the multiple choice answers.

The last time I took the written test (not in California) I didn't study for it much. Figured I would pass it in flying colors. I ran into about 4 questions similar to this one you described. Wasn't just one logical answer in the mix. Kind of like just going fishing to come up with the right answer that 'they' were looking for. Anyways I just barely passed. Had I of gotten 2 (or maybe just 1) more answer wrong, I would of flunked the test.

Bottom line, you just about got to study thier newest book to be able to come up with the right answer for those few trick questions they throw at ya.

They seem to throw in a couple that you never think about also. Ussually pertaining to something like distance in the fog, or how far (in feet) you are moving at X mph in X amount of seconds. Like who really ever thinks about that???

I would pump the brakes. As others said.

I would be heading to the emergency brake next, but pumping the brakes will be the quickest to get some brakes often times.

Paul

We had a '53 GMC truck that you had to pump the brakes almost every time you needed to stop! Yes, I agree that pumping the brakes should be the first course of action.

Many newer cars have electric parking brakes. I don't think those will even engage at high speed, let alone stop the car.

I'll bet that every time that I have had a brake issue and the pedal went to the floor, (not while driving) I got pressure by pumping.

Having driven a ton of older farm trucks (when farmer and used equipment dealer) and cars my basic instinctive approach would be to pump the brakes and very often it worked. If that didn't help my next thing would be trying emergency or parking brakes. Remember you're dealing with government bureaucrats give them the answer THEY want lol

John T

I have two feet so while pumping the brakes with my right foot, my left foot would be pushing on the parking brake.

Sometimes the right answer isn't always the best answer.

Many newer cars have electric parking brakes.
I never thought about that.

If my memory is correct, my old cars had a single master cylinder. So if a brake line rusts out you no brakes. That happened on my 65 cuda. Brake pedal hit the floor.
I was down-shifting to slow down.

When i took my CDL on a computer at the drivers license station i picked an answer and the computer counted it WRONG. Then it gives you the right answer. It was the same answer that the computer said i was wrong on. I called the lady over and told her that i just as well quit now as i think im over the allowed wrong answers of passing. She said keep gong. I passed.

I can kind of see it. The system may just be low on fluid and pumping the brakes you might get some. The emergency brake should be called a parking brake. It won't do very much while the car is in motion. If pumping the brake does nothing though a little is better than nothing. Today's cars the emergency brake is usually operated by hand so a person could do both.

That's dumb. If your brakes fail & the pedal goes to the floor i.e. no rebound, there may not be any pressure left to pump them up. Parking brake will send you into a spin at high speeds. Option A doesn't do much for you either unless you have a soft shoulder, dirt ground, etc. to slow you down in a reasonable amount of time. Guess it depends on the situation, as to what might save you.

Mike

That reminds me, Einstein taught at Princeton for some 20 years. Fellow professors got together and told him, Albert you use the same questions on your tests, you need to change them up. He said no I won't. They said the students will catch on and know all the questions. He said the questions will remain the same, BUT the answers will always change.

Might consider moving to Texas. You maybe would have to take a test to get your first Texas license and you are good for life. I haven't taken a test since I added motorcycle to my license in 1980. The last time I didn't even have to go to the DMV, I just paid a fee online and they mailed my license to me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back