Case 1494 no left brake

Hunter1969

New User
After hitting my brakes . My left pedal went all the way down. Smoke came out from were my pto clutch is located and now my hand engagement clutch no longer works. There was also no brake fluid in my left resvoir and no signs of a busted line. I put fluid back in my resvoir and brakes still won't pump up. Also the only way to engage my pto is to shut the tractor off and engage it with the lever behind the seat. Were should I start looking for the problem?

First of all, what brake fluid did you use?

This system uses a ''special'' ''mineral oil brake fluid'' and if you didn't know that and added conventional automotive brake fluid you've made a MESS for yourself as the rubber seals in the master and slave cylinders are NOT compatible with the wrong fluid. (The reason ''glycol-ether based'' brake fluid isn't used is that if a brake slave cylinder leaks the fluid will end up in the transmission/hydraulic fluid as the slave cylinder is attached to the final drive and a leak dumps into the final drive.)

As to what originally happened, the PTO clutch control uses a Bowdon cable between the hand lever and the lever on the right side of the bellhousing that operates the PTO throwout bearing that runs somewhat in the vicinity of the left side hydraulic brake line.

Something must have happened to cause the common problems between the normally separate and unconnected systems.

Perhaps an electrical wire shorted and burned a hole in the hydraulic brake line and also damaged the PTO operating cable?

Or, perhaps there's also a ground wire between the operator's platform and the main tractor chassis and battery that is missing or not connected or damaged and electrical current traveled though the brake line and control cable.

ASSUMING it wasn't just a very ODD coincidence that made both systems fail at the same time there HAS to be a common point of failure, and you saw SMOKE which very likely came from some sort of electrical mishap!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back