Case 1690 Injection Pump Timing

Zdstrong

New User
My current situation

I have a Case 1690 I inherited from my father. The tractor I learned to drive in. Hasn t run in 15ish years. Engine was rebuilt in 2003. Attempted to get her running and was told by old timer that injection pump was bad. Pulled pump and had it rebuilt. In doing so I did not follow any of the instructions I now know exist in regards to pulling pump. Engine was not at TDC, didn t mark the intermediate gear to pump flange position. When I reinstalled the pump I just slapped it back in and tried starting tractor. Obviously it didn t work.

So currently I have an injection pump and engine not timed appropriately. I have a manual now and have read the procedure for setting engine to tdc. The manual calls for a special tool to be made from an old injector I don t have that will allow me to measure with dial indicator the distance before tdc.

I ve read the pages regarding the timing of the pump and again it calls for a test bench and special tool to be made out of old fuel line parts I don t have that will allow me to visually see when fuel is being pumped to cylinder 1 and then mark pump flange in correct postion.

How can I fix this? I don t have the resources to haul tractor to shop and have it fixed. It is extremely important to me that I get tractor running again.

My main worry points.. hoping there are old farmer tricks or the manual makes it more complicated than it needs to be

- how can I time injection pump, send it off to diesel shop again to have it timed?

- how can I accurately measure distance before tdc. I don t have an old injector I can modify into the specified measuring device.

- the intermediate gear that is bolted to injection pump is currently loose in timing cover with zero idea of the position it should be installed. Does that matter if the engine and pump are both timed properly? Can I just bolt pump to gear when I go to install again?

Any advice is appreciated, I m in over my head. However I am determined given the emotional connection to tractor.

Thank you for any help

Does it have a timing pin hole on the clutch housing?

If you don't ant to drop something down the injector hole, aligning the marks on the timing gears or dropping the oil pan(to observe crank and cam position) are the only other methods I can thing of.

(quoted from post at 04:18:59 06/06/23) Does it have a timing pin hole on the clutch housing?

It does have the timing hole. I ll re read the manual but I believe it asks you to set with timing pin then back off the crankshaft until piston 1 is .8654" below tdc. I could be wrong on that point and the pin could set it at the distance before tdc. Which solves that portion of the problem

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back