Pembroke

Looking at Case 300 with eagle hitch. question: Are parts still available for this tractor and can you explain EAGLE HITCH. What's the difference from regular three point hitch and eagle hitch? Owner says used all last year farming. Haven't seen tractor in person yet.

Most all parts are still available but the main bearings on the g148 engine are not available. I'm rebuilding one as time allows, with main bearings I've redone, that were made to fit a Ford 8N. Will relate my success or failure when that time comes.
Eagle Hitch was Case's 3 point hitch system in the 50's and 60's until they switched to the draft system. I like the EH as it is easier to hook up to implements since it resembles a quick hitch. The arms are stiff and one can back up to the implement and get them latched on first, before hooking up the top link. In my early years I could do it all from the seat. The hydraulic system will stay where you set it (no down pressure) and the easiest to reset in small increments. I use a 300 to blade my drive and can get it really smooth and level. I've used 8N's and others and there is no comparison.
As with any tractor check the fluids, especially if they're not where they should be.

Most all parts are still available but the main bearings on the g148 engine are not available. I'm rebuilding one as time allows, with main bearings I've redone, that were made to fit a Ford 8N. Will relate my success or failure when that time comes.
Eagle Hitch was Case's 3 point hitch system in the 50's and 60's until they switched to the draft system. I like the EH as it is easier to hook up to implements since it resembles a quick hitch. The arms are stiff and one can back up to the implement and get them latched on first, before hooking up the top link. In my early years I could do it all from the seat. The hydraulic system will stay where you set it (no down pressure) and the easiest to reset in small increments. I use a 300 to blade my drive and can get it really smooth and level. I've used 8N's and others and there is no comparison.
As with any tractor check the fluids, especially if they're not where they should be.
YT listed on site. Very spendy.

YT listed on site.
Joe, back when I was searching for 20 over main bearings All States was the only company that said they had them. They have come down almost half in price to what YT is listing. As much as I wanted to get this tractor done, I couldn't handle the price, and went the direction I did.

I agree on the eagle hitch. It is far superior to 3pt. However, if you were plowing curved furrows with it you would want an eagle hitch plow. 3pts are flexible for curved plowing and Eagle not, unless you have one with worn arms like mine and they do move a bit. Eagle hitch implements are a breeze to hook up. 3pt are a little harder. The claws on the 300 are bigger than 3pt balls so for some 3pt equipment there might be a clearance issue.

Joe, back when I was searching for 20 over main bearings All States was the only company that said they had them. They have come down almost half in price to what YT is listing. As much as I wanted to get this tractor done, I couldn't handle the price, and went the direction I did.
I agree YT price is out of line. You have the skill and knowledge to try a work around, most people don't.

We bought our 300 about 6 years ago. I was àble to get the piston seal for the hitch,its under the seat. I recently was able to get the clutch release bearing and clutch fork.

Mine has been knocking and rattling sonce we bought it but hasnt gotten any worse. I run 20w50 oil in it.

Much of ours has been modified . It has a 12 v charging system from a gm car,,a chrysler starter etc

Compared to a VAC the my 300 is a noisy tractor. Lots of noise between the triple range and the pto clutch, which the vac doesn't have. It also has fan roar, but part of that is because the motor can turn almost twice the rpms of the vac.

I never noiced fan roar on mine. When mine is cold it sounds like the pistons are going to come out. Runs fine,all çylinders work, transmission must have a broken gear in high range too

YOur comment makes me wonder if what I think is fan noise might be the water pump going out, or bearings in the generator of my tractor. When it is at idle speed it is quiet enough, but anything over 1000 rpm is loud.

YOur comment makes me wonder if what I think is fan noise might be the water pump going out, or bearings in the generator of my tractor. When it is at idle speed it is quiet enough, but anything over 1000 rpm is loud.
I think the hood and side panels reverberate the roar as I've noticed it also. I've ran mine without them for repair and the sound is not near as much.

Think that might have something to do with it. My panels are home made and not factory bolted on the front edge and swing out so a bit of a pain to remove. I put some auto insulation on them and it helped a little.

here is mine in its glory. I forgot to mention that the ignition points are the same as many cars used in that era. i got mine at autozone after the manager told me they didnt have tractor parts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512-101116.png
    Screenshot_20240512-101116.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back