Case David Brown 1290 Thermastart module Part # K201313

juniata4hn

New User
All,

I am looking for a source for a "Thermastart" unit for my Case / David Brown 1290 diesel tractor. Thermastart is the cold-weather starting system on this tractor.

For Reference: It is a a module that screws into the intake manifold which has a valve that opens to let a little fuel in from the reservoir on the front of the fuel tank, and it also has a heater coil to heat/vaporize the fuel. This is activated on the "heater" position of the ignition switch. The case part number is K201313, but my case dealer says it is no longer available. I have searched the internet and found nothing.

Does anybody have a lead that might point me to a new or used aource?

I have located some chat that says other tractors may have used a similar system including Massey Ferguson MF135? or other Perkins diesels. I also saw it in reference to a Yanmar diesel. Since these are probably all 12 volt systems, I was wondering if I could make an adapter to thread another make of "thermastart"into my 1290?

Any leads on the Case part, on a similar module for another tractor, or other ideas would be appreciated.

Last thought, since this is a David Brown tractor (bought by case), I wonder if there might be more parts available in the UK/England etc.? Any known sources/ leads on this idea?

Thanks for any input. This is my first post an am wondering how these forums really work.....I guess I'll find out soon!

Thanks Again - Dan E from PA.

Same Lucas Thermostart unit as fitted to Massey-Ferguson tractors with Perkins Diesel engines, but different to the Massey-Ferguson 35 with a 4 cylinder Standard Motor Co engine, that unit has a smaller thread.

If you go to the David Brown Tractor Club site there's info on these. Another option is to do like I do and pull the plug, stick and electric heat gun in the hole and turn the key. Starts every time if the battery can turn the engine over.

CAV/Lucas/Delphi Thermostarts can be low, medium or high flow per service spec letter. Screw or spade terminal, 2 thread choices, most are 12 volt but other voltage can be had also. Will try to check the spec card for your tractor to see which one is used.

You guys are all way over thinking this. New ones are still available from Case for about $50, aftermarket for under $20

CASE/DB # K928523 Ford/NH# c5ne9a436a

CAV#1854102

Anyone who sells tractor parts should have that Ford number as it fits a ton of them.

May 1: Wow....I'm impressed with the forum! 6 good leads in less than 24 hours....Thanks! It appears the correct spelling is ThermoStart vs. ThermaStart as I posted.

I'm replying to each response:

RichardInnz - Thanks. It is time for me to carefully measure the threads on my Case ThermoStart to verify that if the Lucas MF/Perkins models fits directly or would need adaptation. If you already know for sure, let me know that..and a specific MF tractor model I could have the MF dealer use to look it up.

Cyrush - Found a good amount of info with your search, esp for Yanmars. Thanks

Bret4207 - Thanks..Found some info on DB tractor forum, but not where to buy one. RE: Electric Heater in plug hole instead.....my problem is that I need it to start where I don't have electricity. Have heard of a propane torch method...but would love to be able to just turn a key instead if at all possible.

jcmarleau - I will email you tonight. If yours are sure to fit, this is probably my best bet. Thanks.

Dieseltech - Your forum name gives me confidence already! I would love to find an matching alternative of a brand you can still buy new. I'll will reply with the terminal type(but that is minor since it is minor to change electrical connectors) and some dimensions including the thread diameter and pitch, plus length etc. I have no idea about the flow needed, but low would always be safe, and medium is the middle of the road alternative. Thanks in advance if you have a way to figure out the right model.

RG Martin - Thanks for the info. I had already found PN K928523 on ebay, but the Case Service manual shows that this is more like a normal glow plug heater (without a fuel line). It is also in the intake manifold beside the thermostart on my 1290. Case says the Thermostart PN is K201313....and they can no longer get it. That info is what started this post.

Thanks Again to All. I can see how you get hooked on helping each other out on this forum. (Once you get something figured out....it is cool to help someone who hasn't found the answer yet).

(quoted from post at 00:36:31 05/01/13)

RG Martin - Thanks for the info. I had already found PN K928523 on ebay, but the Case Service manual shows that this is more like a normal glow plug heater (without a fuel line). It is also in the intake manifold beside the thermostart on my 1290. Case says the Thermostart PN is K201313....and they can no longer get it. That info is what started this post.

That number is for a fuel fired Thermostart. Big spade electrical terminal, small fuel connection, Screws into manifold... Turn the key, coil heats, fuel leaks, presto-there is fire. Never had an electric only glow plug on a DB. Had lots of DBs.

I just checked the Case online parts books and they are showing the Ford number I gave you as the current part number.

Jaunita- propane torch works too but the fan will blow the flame out on all of mine right when the tractor is "almost" running. Just wanted to give you the easy way out! :lol:

Just looked up the correct thermostart unit for your tractor, Delphi # 1854102. 11.5 volt, 13 amp, medium flow, 7/8 UNF thread, 3/8 inch spade terminal. Close to 140. list price. Found 1854050 that is same except has #10 UNF screw connection instead of spade lug, about 50 bucks. Used on some MF tractors. Hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back