caught a drone

BIG RUH

Shed door came off track yesterday and couldn't close the door. Got the parts to fix it. Went out to the shed this morning to repair the door and saw that there was a drone caught in a fish seine (net ) that I have hanging in the shed. Called the county sheriff. They have it now. Going to make sure all sheds are closed and locked and going to put my pants eating dog by that shed

Now that is pretty strange. Have you had any theft problems in the past? First thing I would determine is the range of the thing. Then do some snooping in the neighborhood as to who is within that things range. Of course they could have been operating it from a vehicle out on the county road.

Maybe it belonged to the game warden. Unless you are a commercial fisherman, seining is illegal around here. Course that never stopped us. My dad had several gunney sacks full of nets.

Gene

Now that's a new one. Just don't take long for the thief's to abuse technology. Hang up high in public.

Shed is about 150 yards off county road. As far as seine's being legal, it's my understanding that's if your using on your private property, it' s legal. I maybe wrong, but we've always have done this way.

Great now the secret is out of how to stop them !
Nets are being hung up all over the middle east as I type this.

LOL

That is interesting, might be a plan if they were to
attack a tracking device to it, then set it
somewhere that if the crooks came back to the area
to try to retrieve it they would take it back with
them so the cops could have a few questions for
them....

Really hard to fly a drone inside a shed, typically lose sat signals and need to be very very good to fly manually in a building.....

Paul

Big RUH,
22 magnum rifle solves the whole problem if you eyesights good. I took care of a remote control model airplane that was buzzing over the lake for hours on end, after the plane was shot down, you should have heard the applause and cheers from the neighbors around the lake. Out come the speed boat and pick up the dam noise maker,never to fly again in my presence.
Now that my surgery for cataracts is completed,less eyedrops, I'll be waiting on drones if they show up,with 300 winchester mag and 220 grain ammo, I'll bet I can duplicate the 22 mag episode,even down to the applause and cheering. Make sure you have a good excuse to such, "I thought it was a UFO coming to abduct me,so I feared for my life."lol.

LOU

And it would surprise you how far those things can go too! Some guys use to fly them across the road from me, didn't mind it since they weren't out there that long, kids enjoyed them, and they kept them across the road, never over my place or buzzing anyone near by with them. Anyways, one went up just a tad too far, lost contact and it glided about 4 miles away. Supposedly, the engine dies when its out of range, but this one just kept on gliding.

When they do finally make regulations or laws on them, I wonder if it is going to be legal for your neighbor to spy on you. If there is one in a building that should be illegal. Someone cant search your property without a warrant, or at least they aren't supposed to. As was mentioned, it might be easier for thieves to spy on someone's property. Hate to say it but when they are sold to the public, there is going to be trouble. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

(quoted from post at 21:00:17 08/13/14) Big RUH,
22 magnum rifle solves the whole problem if you eyesights good. I took care of a remote control model airplane that was buzzing over the lake for hours on end, after the plane was shot down, you should have heard the applause and cheers from the neighbors around the lake. Out come the speed boat and pick up the dam noise maker,never to fly again in my presence.
Now that my surgery for cataracts is completed,less eyedrops, I'll be waiting on drones if they show up,with 300 winchester mag and 220 grain ammo, I'll bet I can duplicate the 22 mag episode,even down to the applause and cheering. Make sure you have a good excuse to such, "I thought it was a UFO coming to abduct me,so I feared for my life."lol.

180 shoots flatter and has about the same down range energy.
150grain Nosler Balistic Tip will make most thin skinned problems go POOF.

LOU

I don;t know why people get so upset about this issue. There are any number of satellites in orbit that can take a picture of a dollar bill laying on the ground and read the serial number, or I'm told. There are cameras everywhere recording what you do. Everyone today has a cell phone with a camera ready to record any embarrassing or stupid move you make, not to mention the criminal ones. It's not at all uncommon to find pot plantations on your own property around here and townies think the phrase "private property" is Latin for "ride your ATV here!". Privacy? Private property? Come on comrade, get with the times! :roll:

Drones are just one more new toy for people to worry over.

(quoted from post at 20:40:11 08/13/14) I understand that shooting down a drone, at least one flying at 400' or more is a no-no.
Mark
believe it is against FAA regulations to fly a civilian drone or remote control plane higher than 400 feet.

(quoted from post at 14:24:01 08/13/14) Really hard to fly a drone inside a shed, typically lose sat signals and need to be very very good to fly manually in a building.....

Paul
he small private drones that are being flone mostly do not use satellite for control, simply a little joystick transmitter similar to what is used on radio control airplanes, boats, and remote race cars. some of the high end ones use GPS for positioning, but can be flow without it.

(quoted from post at 21:03:18 08/13/14) You shot a flying model airplane out of the air with a .22? Man that's a good shot!
e may be a good shot, but a 22 mag has a whole different set of ballistics than a 22 LR. The bullet has 2x the muzzle velocity and 3 times the muzzle energy. Most people think a 22 magnum is little different than a 22LR, as I did until I finally bought one. Now it is my favorite gun for small varmints including coyotes up to about 125 yards.

As to shooting down an RC airplane, it all depends on range, speed, direction of travel, etc. It is much easier if it is going directly away or directly toward you than if it is going cross ways or turning.

That takes some really good flying and a sophisticated aircraft to fly a drone into an open building from long range, especially at night. The pilot definitely had to know he was trespassing.

Please post a picture of the drone! Can you tell us the brand and model number? If law enforcement has the serial number of the aircraft they should be able to track down the owner simply by asking the manufacturer who the buyer was. It will be interesting to find out who it was and why it was there.

I do have a photo of it, and know the manufacture. Sheriff has advised me not to post any imformation on it until their investigation is done. They said the same thing about tracking it down.

(quoted from post at 12:07:35 08/14/14) [b:7a0f43a5c0]That takes some really good flying and a sophisticated aircraft to fly a drone into an open building from long range, especially at night. The pilot definitely had to know he was trespassing.[/b:7a0f43a5c0]

That or someone lost control of it and it just happened to wind up in the barn. Stranger things have happened.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back