Chisel plow

75 hp tractor, maybe 7 shank with 2 inch spikes, 5 would be better but no one wants a modest size tillage tool so we give up recommending realistic tools….. ha.

I pulled a 10 shank with an 85hp rated (typically this model runs a little stronger) tractor and it worked a couple years, but I really wasn’t accomplishing much couldn’t go deep and realized finally I was just skidding along the top of the plow pan, not breaking through it which would have done some good…… so I felt good pulling a big chisel with my tractor and getting done sooner but I wasn’t really accomplishing anything worthwhile but wasting time and burning fuel.

When I got a 145hp tractor and used the same 10 shank chisel plow it actually started accomplishing something.

I have tougher soil pulls harder than many. But even so, 10hp per 2 inch shank and you can run about like a field cultivator. 15hp per 2 inch shank and you can run like a chisel plow. 25 hp per shank and you can run a twisted 4 inch shank.

Paul

was told many years ago for a mold board plow 15 hp, chisel 25 and a ripper 50 hp per shank. i never tried with my 706 d, i pulled a 7 shank with a 1466. and lot depends on your ground, we have a lot of clay it pulls harder.

What size chisel plow will a 706 gas international pull ?
I had a 7 shank mounted Glencoe, (1 foot spacing), with 2 inch spikes. It would hardly cover the tractor footprint and would kill my 4020 diesel. With it I was able to determine that fall tillage, with something other than a moldboard plow, was the answer for my soil. I got an old, junk Steiger and an 11 shank Glencoe (15 inch spacing) with 4 inch twisted shovels, and went to work.

Ditto on type of soil & desired operating depth will drastically affect HP required per chisel shank.
Bingo!!!. I have a 7 shank 3 pt with 3" twisted shovels that I have pulled at 8" with my JD 730 Diesel with duals. YMMV.

Last edited:
75 hp tractor, maybe 7 shank with 2 inch spikes, 5 would be better but no one wants a modest size tillage tool so we give up recommending realistic tools….. ha.

I pulled a 10 shank with an 85hp rated (typically this model runs a little stronger) tractor and it worked a couple years, but I really wasn’t accomplishing much couldn’t go deep and realized finally I was just skidding along the top of the plow pan, not breaking through it which would have done some good…… so I felt good pulling a big chisel with my tractor and getting done sooner but I wasn’t really accomplishing anything worthwhile but wasting time and burning fuel.

When I got a 145hp tractor and used the same 10 shank chisel plow it actually started accomplishing something.

I have tougher soil pulls harder than many. But even so, 10hp per 2 inch shank and you can run about like a field cultivator. 15hp per 2 inch shank and you can run like a chisel plow. 25 hp per shank and you can run a twisted 4 inch shank.

Paul
A rule of thumb that I always heard was 10hp per shank. Seems about right. I pulled a 13 shank chisel plow with a 1086 Farmall and an 11 shank unit with an 856.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back