Close friend of my son was seriously hurt yesterday!!!

JD Seller

A good friend(Steve) of my middle son(John) was seriously hurt falling down his silo yesterday. Steve went to all 12 years of school with John. They are god parents to each others kids. Steve's father passed away about 8-10 years ago. He had always farmed with his father. His mother remarried and made Steve buy the home farm at full market price just three years ago. So money is real tight for him.

He is a real hard working young man. He just turned 34 back in December. He is married and has three children. They are about he same age as some of my grand kids. I think the youngest is 4 and the other two are 8 and 10.

He feeds cattle and farms about 1000 acres of row crops. He does not have much in the way of equipment. He just filled his yards right before Thanksgiving. He has right at 500 six weight cattle. He feeds them with a Schuller wagon(just a chain feed wagon. Kind of like a manure spreader but the chain pulls the feed to a cross auger). He has a 70 foot tall upright silo that he has corn silage in. He grinds corn and puts it into a gravity wagon. So as he fills the Schuller with corn silage he fills five gallon buckets with corn and throws it in with the silage as it fills the Schuller wagon. Then he throws ground hay on the top after he has the corn and silage that he wants in the wagon. He has to make ten loads to feed all the calves. It takes him 6-8 hours to get all his feeding chores done.

His old up right silo is shot. The blocks are bad around the bottom because of the silage acid eating at them and the old Clay unloader it over fifty years old. You can not get parts for it any longer either.

Yesterday morning the unloader broke an auger and fed it to the blower. It scraped the whole thing. He came in an told his wife at about 7:30 am he was going to be working up in the silo on the unloader. She sent the oldest kid out at 11:30 am to get him for lunch. She found him laying on the ground at the bottom of the silo chute. They called the rescue squad. They got him stable and air flighted him straight to Iowa City to the University hospital. His wife (Carol) called my Son and DIL to watch the kids and the farm while she went to the hospital.

My son called me at 12:30 PM to come over to see how I thought we could get the cattle feed. My son started to climb the silo and I stopped him. I knew Steve had trouble last year with it, the doors being rotten on the silo. The hardware would pull the bolts through the old wood. It does not have the swing away doors so the hardware is just bolted to the wooden doors So when they pulled through the step/lock falls down the chute. Plus you loose a step on that door. I told him I did not want him to take a chance on being hurt. So I went home and got my fall protection harness. I went up the chute. I would climb two doors and then tie off at another silo loop. At about forty feet I found a bucket of tools hanging on the door there. The step was gone on the step a door below that. So it looks like he was hanging the tool bucket up and the step below him broke. So he fell down the chute about 35 feet. He real lucky he is still alive.

When I got up to the unloader I found out it was not repairable. It had broken the auger an that fed into the blower ruining the blower and blower housing. None of the parts are available. So getting it to work again was not going to happen.

So I told my son (John) to go to my place and fill my TMR wagon with a feed ration. I called my oldest son Robert and told him to take the TMR wagon from the lower place to my place and do the same thing. We made a ration that was real heavy in hay as I have no idea what type of ration he had been feeding. I sure did not want to founder his calves with a hotter ration.

So they did that an we got the cattle feed around 2:00 PM. The calves where really raising cain by then. They where hungry.

Carol called us about then with the news on how bad Steve was hurt. He broke his left leg in two places the doctors where not sure they could save that leg as he had lain on it folded under him for several hours. ( We found his watch under some feed. It was broken and had stopped at 8:15 am. So it looks like he laid there for maybe three hours) His right leg is broken in one place. His left arm is broke. His collar bone is broke. His right shoulder was dislocated. He also has a concussion. He did wake up during the flight down to Iowa City. He did talk to them a little so they think he does not have a serious head injury. So he is in for a long recovery. They do have health insurance. That is a small help.

John told her that we would take care of the livestock until Steve is able to. I agree with that.

So with that in mind we set about getting things setup to feed things in a more timely/modern manner. Steve had talked about this being the last year for the upright silo, He does have an old open fronted slant floored hog barn. It would make a commodity shed with the out side walls removed so you could have room to fill a feeder wagon out in front.

So my brother brought over his JD track hoe. He and my sons started to get the walls torn out. I called and arranged for a load of wet gluten feed. Steve would have been real close on having enough corn to finish this group of steers. I am switching his ration around a little adding the wet feed to stretch his corn and silage. I called the guy that does my tub grinding an explained the problem we had. He came right over. The boys had the one wall out by then. So he was able to grind one bay full of hay. My youngest son had gotten Steve's grinder/mixer out and was grinding corn to put in one of the other bins. So we have one for corn silage , one gulten feed, one for hay and one for corn silage. That will work well.

I went an got my backup TMR wagon and got it hooked up to one of Steve's tractors. I also had been working on a deal for an additional skid steer loader for us. I called and had the dealer just deliver it to Steve's. We needed some way to load the feed wagon and to bed the cattle. Got a nice JD 332D with a full cab with heat/AC. It is just a year old with about 400 hours on it.

About that time Steve's Amish neighbor came over to see if he could help any. I outlined the issues we had. He said he and his sons would see about getting the corn silage out of the upright. They got the old unloader raised. He then got his boys and they started to hand throw the silage down the chute. My one son would haul it to the old hog shed with the skid steer. They moved about five tons. That should last for 4-5 days. The Amish fellow said he and his sons would keep doing that until the silo was empty. Say what you want but they are good people. Steve and them have been good neighbors for years.

So about this time I took the belt trailer to go get the wet gluten feed. ADM had a line as they where making feed real slow. So I did not get home until after 1:00 am. So I spent New Years waiting in the feed line.

So Steve and Carol's kids stayed at my son John's house last night. Susie, John's wife, took some cloths and the kids down to Iowa City this morning. That way Carol could have things to change into and the kids could see their Dad for a short time. Susie called us a few minutes ago. Steve is awake for short periods today. The doctors are more favorable about his left leg. They told Carol that the cold actually helped Steve with the leg. The recovery could take up to a year.

So it looks like we have some additional chores for awhile but a good friend looks like he will recover. So this New Years is not starting out real well. Hope yours went better.

Steve is lucky to have good friends like you and your boys and good neighbors like the Amish. I will be praying for his recovery.

JD, really sad to hear that - my prayers for Steve and his family and all you fine folks helping out. It is refreshing to see neighbors jumping in to help - especially since it is quite a commitment as he will be a long time recovering. God Bless!

Sounds like a nasty accident. Good thing he has good neighbors like all of you. Not many would do that today. Best of luck to him and his family and all of you. I am sure your help is appreciated. God Bless.

I wish him a full a hopefully speedy recovery, with friends and neighbors like you things will work out be safe and GOD Bless all thanks for sharing the story and hope to hear how things are going
cnt

Sounds like a bad deal. He sure is lucky though to have good neighbors.

What diameter silo is it? I haven't used my silo for about 10 years now. There is a pretty good unloader hanging inside it.

It is a 16' diameter unloader.

I thought the other day that I needed to sell it, hate to see it waste. Course sounds like he was planning on ditching the silo anyway.

We scooped the silage out of our for probably 10 years. Didn't have a roof on it either then. So if we thought it was going to snow or ice, we would dig a hole in the silage and bury our silage forks so they wouldnt be frozen the next morning.

Seems like a long time ago now.

Gene

I do not cry at anything but this brought tears to my eyes. What you and others are doing is what America has been all about and will be in the future. Thank God for giving those involved knowledge, equipment and most importantly the desire to help. A lot of good will come from this. Thank you for helping your neighbor.

now that brought a tear to my eyes. Proud that my belief that farm families and neighbors still live by the old way of helping out each other in the time of need. May God bless all involved and pray for full recovery for Steve, Brian

Thanks for the offer but I am going to really push him to tear down the silo. It is not safe to use any more. The blocks around the bottom are shot. Plus the doors are shot. Then the unloader is bad. So you really have nothing to work with. He would be better off just switching to silage bags.

Plus I am willing to bet that he will have mobility problems even after he heals. You do not get hurt as bad as he is and not have long term effects from it. So climbing a silo may never happen again. Plus I bet Steve's wife, Carol, will push for him to not use the silo after this.

When the time comes when he can do his own chores I will help him out if he needs it. I have the extra TMR wagon and I can help him get a skid steer or tractor and loader if he needs any help.

I have been involved in a relief effort like that 4 times in my life, the last being 3 years ago. Part of the neighbors would not lift a finger while people from over 150 miles away came. And I would do it again without hesitation. Sounds like you will have a lot on your plate for at least this year. With the way he had to pay full market price for the farm, he probably is not that close to his mother. With all the outpouring of prayers, concern and help, he knows where his "real family" is.

I just read JD's story to my wife. There is too much excitement in his life!
My wife's comment was- Well! The poor boys mother should be real happy she's got all that money!

Well Steve's mother it a real capitol "B". My DIL called her last night so she would know he was hurt real bad. Her and the"new" husband live in AZ. She said if he was still in the hospital next week she would try to come up and see him. Now that is a real "loving" mother. NOT!!!!!

JD. Looks like you have your arms full. He is lucky to have you for a neighbor and friend. Bottom line is he is alive. God Bless you all,and help you along with your assistance.

You are to be commended for your help. God will bless you and yours in a special way. Neighbors like you are a bleesing from God. My prayers are with you.

When my son John's second child was born she was real premature. She was in an out of the hospital for over four months before she could come home full time. Steve and Carol just about did all of the care for John and Susie's oldest daughter while they where at the hospital.

So they really are just extended family.

It's a blessing to have neighbors like you and his Amish friends. I'm sure you'll all be paid back with a miracle for all involved.

What a bad deal! All I can say is he is lucky to have neighbors like you, your boys, and his Amish friends who quickly stepped up to the plate and took care of what needed to be done. Hopefully he will make a full recovery and will be able to be back home operating his farm again in the future. I will remember him and his family in prayer during this trying time. So glad to hear that he is responding mentally. Broken limbs of the body seem to heal pretty good with time, but a brain injury is a very tragic thing. I've seen it first hand with an uncle who fell about 15ft from a ladder onto the frozen ground, landing on his head.

JD, it's a lot the same around here, but us dirt shufflers are getting far and few between. A little over 20 years ago, I was digging a new trench silo and had the wall collapse under my right track. The loader slid into the trench and overturned sideways, pinning me under the toolbox. One Doc told me I might not walk again, another said I was lucky to have only my pelvis busted. I still feel it every day. I was also lucky to have great neighbors. A dozen or so got together, filled and packed the silo and fed for a month or so. It was four months before I was feeding, still on crutches, six months before I went back to work on light duty, and a year before I was ready for full work, even though I was still sore. And like I say, I am still sore from the accident- it has never really totally gone away. There are still things I have to realize I can't do because of it.

But, it is still amazing to me how the farm community manages to come together for injured and ailing neighbors, after an accident, a barn fire, or any of the many other many disasters we encounter in this game. Any other business, you will have the wolves at the door, yet we herd together like oxen and protect our kind. You can't have a better feeling than that, whether giving or recieving.

That's one of just a few of the reasons I am proud as hell to be called a farmer. There's so much more than to being a true farmer than dirt under the nails. It includes that fire that keeps us going, and helps us overcome whatever is thrown at us. It's a shame it's the only place I know of anymore with the cream of the crop all in one large group. And, as usual, it's right in top....

Wow, prayers for your friend. Stories like this make me proud to be an American...and helps me remember why I stay involved with agriculture community even though I don't do it full time. In general, the farm community still has a caring and hard working heart! God Bless!

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! Where are you located? anything we can do from central Ohio? prayers are with all of you involved! DS

Good for you for being there for the farm and the family while he recovers. It sounds like a very sad situation for all involved.
Zach

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back