Comfort at the cost of prosperity

notjustair

I just finished reading Straw Boss' post over on Case. I can identify with that greatly and it made me realize how much I limit my own prosperity. There are many things I could do to make my operation more efficient or expand but I don't want to. Friends think I am crazy because my goal is not to get rich.

I will never own a gps steered tractor. I like taking the wheel and needing to make the decision about where to go. There's an art to making split second decisions when drilling wheat and not overseeing when you don't need to. Like many others, I watch other's wheat germinate and judge their ability and tell of how I would have done it. Do I really want a computer to make that decision? I can't imagine being able to do it better but I don't want to go there.

When it rains, snows, or blows I wish like everything that I had a loader tractor with a cab. I don't really need one, though. My grandfather worked the farm many years without one - I'm lucky to have it. I'd imagine I could load bales faster or drive quicker with a hydro or loader that would take two bales at once. Time is money. I trade my money for the time it takes me, but I like that. I like that old tractor and take pride in its reliability. Maybe I will feel differently the closer I get to "retirement".

Since my first day on this farm I have raised and butchered chickens and turkeys. The meat and eggs sure are cheap in the grocery store and I don't save any money doing it my way. The meal tastes so much better and I refuse to waste and food when I saw the food from hatch to dinner plate. Maybe that is why there is so much waste in the world.

Cheap gates are pretty easy to get, but I have spent the last several days making pipe gates for the hog pens. Those are days when I could have been doing something else that would bring in some revenue, but I was awfully proud of the gate I made yesterday with just some time and welding rod.

I've let technology pass me enough that I would run myself crazy catching up. It's not that I am giving up, but I am happy with the way I am doing things. I know I could get a few thousand more by having a grinder with scales and optimizing my feed for hogs, but there's an art in that job.

It's not that I am foolish or not business savvy. I've owned my own successful business in the past. For some reason this farm is different - I'm not trying to get ahead. I am just trying to do what's best for the animals and land. Not that all of those machines aren't nice or needed by some (especially BTOs), but I am happy without.

I hope I'm not the only one? Maybe I was born in the wrong era. This post is a good example. Coming in for lunch and sitting down to rest after is something grandpa did. I could have eaten a quick lunch in the cab of a tractor. I didn't though. And I didn't rush right back out - I stopped in here to waste some time.

Time to put my bibs back on.

That's a really satisfying outlook to have, being content with where you are... that is true wealth.

I can't argue with you. Most of what you said applies to me also. I'll add that I have a ten acre woodlot on the place and another five acres or so of thick fence lines with big oaks and more. I have come under pressure to cut it all and make the place one big field but that is something I frankly refuse to do. I have a path thru all of it and the peace it gives me to walk under those big trees is worth more to me than another 15 acres of field. Just another example of what you are talking about. I like to hear there are more who think like that.

In my opinion, you are "chasing" what matters most - that which money cannot buy.

What you are sowing and reaping is personal satisfaction. That"s the greatest crop in the world.

There are a lot like that left. Even some youngsters that have goals to have a place and be happy with it.

Some folks need to be expanding to be happy, to get more and more on their plate. I don't always understand that, don't see where they ever get to enjoy it. They have a different value system. They enjoy the chase, not the goal....

Paul

With things in this world so topsie turby that another bad depression could happen at anytime and many are becoming "preppers" you already are doing what many of them will want to do.
So you may end up AHEAD of the pack ?

I'm with you, no cab, rely on my skills and I enjoy it. The young guy I share some farming with wants heat and air conditioning, hate breathing dust or even breaking a sweat. When he breaks down he always turns to me. It's sad.

(quoted from post at 11:22:45 03/03/14) I just finished reading Straw Boss' post over on Case. I can identify with that greatly and it made me realize how much I limit my own prosperity. There are many things I could do to make my operation more efficient or expand but I don't want to. Friends think I am crazy because my goal is not to get rich.

I will never own a gps steered tractor. I like taking the wheel and needing to make the decision about where to go. There's an art to making split second decisions when drilling wheat and not overseeing when you don't need to. Like many others, I watch other's wheat germinate and judge their ability and tell of how I would have done it. Do I really want a computer to make that decision? I can't imagine being able to do it better but I don't want to go there.

When it rains, snows, or blows I wish like everything that I had a loader tractor with a cab. I don't really need one, though. My grandfather worked the farm many years without one - I'm lucky to have it. I'd imagine I could load bales faster or drive quicker with a hydro or loader that would take two bales at once. Time is money. I trade my money for the time it takes me, but I like that. I like that old tractor and take pride in its reliability. Maybe I will feel differently the closer I get to "retirement".

Since my first day on this farm I have raised and butchered chickens and turkeys. The meat and eggs sure are cheap in the grocery store and I don't save any money doing it my way. The meal tastes so much better and I refuse to waste and food when I saw the food from hatch to dinner plate. Maybe that is why there is so much waste in the world.

Cheap gates are pretty easy to get, but I have spent the last several days making pipe gates for the hog pens. Those are days when I could have been doing something else that would bring in some revenue, but I was awfully proud of the gate I made yesterday with just some time and welding rod.

I've let technology pass me enough that I would run myself crazy catching up. It's not that I am giving up, but I am happy with the way I am doing things. I know I could get a few thousand more by having a grinder with scales and optimizing my feed for hogs, but there's an art in that job.

It's not that I am foolish or not business savvy. I've owned my own successful business in the past. For some reason this farm is different - I'm not trying to get ahead. I am just trying to do what's best for the animals and land. Not that all of those machines aren't nice or needed by some (especially BTOs), but I am happy without.

I hope I'm not the only one? Maybe I was born in the wrong era. This post is a good example. Coming in for lunch and sitting down to rest after is something grandpa did. I could have eaten a quick lunch in the cab of a tractor. I didn't though. And I didn't rush right back out - I stopped in here to waste some time.

Gotta pretty much agree with your way of doing things. I'm not looking to get rich.

GPS? You have to have enough acres to justify one and if I had that much I would think about it. They can save a good deal of money.

Cab? I wouldn't be without one. If it was just my drive I was doing and feeding I could live without one though. Mine is in pretty decent shape and cost 400 bucks so that isn't too bad.

I've been buying feed for pigs and only put in feeders in the spring. Started out as meat for the family only but I've got people bugging me about pasture raise pork. The wife raises chicken and sells a few eggs. But that loosing money on those darn birds. Don't see us getting rid of em. I like the fresh eggs.

We have some woods. I could most likely gain 40 acres if I would hire/rent/by a dozer but I like my woods. I've got bad knees so I ride though em on a golf cart.

No can't say your a wrong at all.

Rick

That sure sounds familier people bugging you
for pasture raised pork i have the same
problem only question i got is where they are
at when the critters make a break for it or
when it comes time to clean up that industrial
byproduct still i gave some meat to a home
for handicap people the stories i got back cant
put a price on that

I like your comments. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Had a neighbor many years ago that lived the "more is needed" life style. At the county fair one year, he said the only way he could ever break even was to die and his family collect his life insurance. He had life insurance on all his loans. Sure enough, he broke even a few years ago. Never did get to enjoy life. And his family still lives by his philosophy.

I can remember walking out to the woods with my dad, sitting on a log or stump, watching the squirrels for an hour or two. Then he would look at his pocket watch and say it is time to go to the house, which squirrel should we shoot. We would get one and go in. Now days, everyone seems to be in too much of a hurry.

When I went to a coal mining museum once they had a display of the parlors of the mine owner and the miner . Besides nicer furniture the mine owner had a comfy chair compared to the miner .I figured about the only difference between a rich man and a poor man relaxing is this comfortable chair. Also rich man or poor man can both enjoy any book , thats one thing that doesn't take money and with the library system free.Money isn't everything .

(quoted from post at 14:22:45 03/03/14)

When it rains, snows, or blows I wish like everything that I had a loader tractor with a cab. I don't really need one, though.

This post is a good example. Coming in for lunch and sitting down to rest after is something grandpa did. I could have eaten a quick lunch in the cab of a tractor. I didn't though. And I didn't rush right back out - I stopped in here to waste some time.

As a young(er) man, I really, REALLY appreciated your perspective. Thank you very much for taking the time to tap this out.
It is making me think...

When your health insurance is 1200 per month,real estate taxes around 8000 per year,the cost of food,farm fuel and 50 other things make it hard to just set back and smell the roses.

(quoted from post at 14:25:50 03/03/14) When your health insurance is 1200 per month,real estate taxes around 8000 per year,the cost of food,farm fuel and 50 other things make it hard to just set back and smell the roses.
Yup, it ain't yesterday no more....

I often think back to the summer when I was sixteen. My next door neighbor hired me two days a week to harvest tobacco. His mother always prepared a sufficient lunch, and it was "hit the field" again. There were two brothers involved, and both held second shift jobs. Some other folks found that I was "for hire" and I worked for them two days a week also. They paid better, but took things a little slower. Dinner was like a restaurant, often two meats and several vegetables as well as pie and cake. There were generally about a dozen people eating, but it was mostly kinfolk except for me, but it was a family atmosphere. Granny was always saying, "Sure you don't want another piece of pie?" After dinner, everyone would rest thirty minutes to an hour before going back to work. These folks made a decent living, but took time to enjoy life and family association. I often think of the contrast. I, personally, agree with your philosophy, If you can survive, take things a little slower and enjoy your coffee and smell the roses. Smells a lot better than anything else you will shovel!

Heck, I'm not farming but it sure makes me think.

Is it the destination or the ride? I might be going
about this wrong.

Aaron

What did we have,a new edition of Old McDonalds Farm come out?Who of any of us has the right or things we have the right to tell,be critical of others on how to live and what to do with our lives.Like another poster said,Power Co.needs paid,Tax Man gets his money,ETC.The old saying is Money isn't every thing but it is better then the other thing.

Years ago I wanted to expand, and do things better. Half of my tractors have cabs, and they make it possible to work long days in blistering heat and humidity and bitter cold and rainy days. All of my efforts went into KISS projects and it now pays off. I don't need a whole lot, have a good herd of Angus and enough ground to feed them and have some left over. I can do it pretty much by myself, and still have plenty of time for hunting in the fall, and watching things go past when I feel like it. Life is good.....

I know what you mean. I just want simplicity,with enough to keep the wolves away from the door.

Just remembered what a preacher told me a guy with 10 kids is more satisfied then a guy with 10 million as the guy with 10 kids has had enough the guy with 10 million wants more

I like alot of the thoughts on this post.You did mention the feed grinder with no scales,we did this for years and now have scales they are a grat investment and I would hate to give them up.We bought a junk tmr mixer and and put those scales on our grinder.Total cost $250.

I agree with the OP. I'm not trying to get rich, just have the farm pay for itself, keep the pastures open and get the place looking decent. Seems like everything is stacked against me though.

I'd sure like a cab on my winter tractor. That wind cuts right through you.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back